Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

30 Aug 2021

Greetings,
    My hopes and prayers are with all the people that are in the path of the hurricane and storms. If you can spare a bit of that rain, we could surely use it about now.

Made a couple of cutting boards this past week, still working on the cabinet project as temperatures allow. Supposed to be a touch cooler this week and my hopes are that I can get enough cool time in the shop to make some serious progress. Spent some time with friends this past weekend. Cleaned up a bit in the shop and helped with things needing to get done in the house as well as yard work. Church yesterday, I played bass guitar with the band and enjoyed every moment of it. I start oncall duty this morning and my hope and prayer is that this week will be a peaceful one.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Another busy week for me...worked on my bass project, completed the side table finishing, rode my bike most days, did some more cleanout of the upstairs at the old shop while actively participating in a showing...finally got a potential buyer who actually wants a shop, hung art in the new house, "enjoyed" a couple hour power outage (sure miss the generator), etc. This week...probably more of some of this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not much woodworking, except to buy lumber for the hutch half of my kitchen buffet/hutch project.

I experienced some of the Arkansas heat Dennis keeps talking about, as Thursday and Friday I was on a road trip to catch a glimpse of Union Pacific's Big Boy #4014.
    Departing Malvern, AR.jpg
    I met it in a town to the south of Little Rock, then again in North Little Rock, where it stopped overnight, and finally one stop further along its way toward Missouri before I headed home.

Arkansas heat feels a lot like Alabama heat.
    Chuck Taylor

Put the finishing touches on my Parallel Guides which I posted about separately. I'll sure be glad to get back into my Woodshop and out of DH's shop where the Bridgeport Mill is. This week I need to make a quick and dirty cabinet door for my shop and then I hope to be getting back on the Spool Chest I started months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Not much woodworking, except to buy lumber for the hutch half of my kitchen buffet/hutch project.

I experienced some of the Arkansas heat Dennis keeps talking about, as Thursday and Friday I was on a road trip to catch a glimpse of Union Pacific's Big Boy #4014.
    Departing Malvern, AR.jpg
    I met it in a town to the south of Little Rock, then again in North Little Rock, where it stopped overnight, and finally one stop further along its way toward Missouri before I headed home.

Arkansas heat feels a lot like Alabama heat.
    I'm envious! Been crazy about trains since 1969, did lots of photography on Conrail in the early 80's.

Got a temporary kitchen set up in our laundry room with some storage in the dining room. Got all the cabinets emptied out. I'll be leaving the fridge, range, and dishwasher in the kitchen as long as possible and will just work around them. I'm a little amazed (dismayed?) at how much "stuff" we had crammed in the cabinets. I've removed the cabinets on the shortest wall; two more longer walls to go. I'm trying to remove the cabinets in whole with the aim of seeing if Habitat restore wants them. They are really old but not in horrible shape. Certainly no one would put them in a kitchen, but they'd be fine for garage or workshop storage. The first cabinet was so tightly wedged in by the oak flooring that I busted it prying it out, but the others have come out cleanly so far. My wife would have preferred I waited longer to start demo since new cabinets won't be here until the end of october, but I have a lot of prep to do and I don't work as fast as I used to (not that I ever worked very fast ).
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Another busy week for me...worked on my bass project, completed the side table finishing, rode my bike most days, did some more cleanout of the upstairs at the old shop while actively participating in a showing...finally got a potential buyer who actually wants a shop, hung art in the new house, "enjoyed" a couple hour power outage (sure miss the generator), etc. This week...probably more of some of this.

Just curious, what type of bike riding do you do? Road or trail? Can I hear about your bike? I have recently fell down the rabbit hole of biking. Just what I needed, another expensive hobby but at least the biking will keep in me in decent shape. Over the years I've always had mountain bikes and mostly took them on the road which is why I believe I never really got into it. My wife and I recently picked up a couple of Specialized Diverge Comp's and now I can't get enough of road riding.

Finally built a drill press table, added Woodpeckers new fence to it. 3d printed cnc bit trays and other drawer organizers for the cnc. Glued some cutting boards. Cut up 7 sets of epoxy/wood coasters, profiled them, sanded 120/180, need to do 240 and a little higher for the epoxy, then osmo.

The drill press table was finished with arm r seal. It ended up a bit rough so i hit it with maroon scotchbrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Just curious, what type of bike riding do you do? Road or trail? Can I hear about your bike? I have recently fell down the rabbit hole of biking. Just what I needed, another expensive hobby but at least the biking will keep in me in decent shape. Over the years I've always had mountain bikes and mostly took them on the road which is why I believe I never really got into it. My wife and I recently picked up a couple of Specialized Diverge Comp's and now I can't get enough of road riding.
    I'm riding casually on street/trail/road locally and for exercise and fresh air...'trying to embrace the "townie" thing now that we moved close in, as it were. I bought a Trek Verve 2 Disc Low Step bike...not super expensive but comfortable with the seat suspension and upright body position. It has disc brakes (nice!) and "a lot" of gear ratios. LOL Yesterday, I took my most ambitious ride yet...probably more than I really should have gone this early on and I had to walk two short, but very steep hills to avoid a painful death (other than in embarrassment) but it was a beautiful day for it. I'm guessing it was about 8 miles, give or take. Of course, and as Professor Dr. SWMBO predicted, the parade of "accessories" keeps arriving at our door...new hobbies/activities always bring that kind of thing. LOL Of course, her own bike arrives tomorrow More modest and from Costco, but I think she'll enjoy getting some air, even though I doubt she'll ride much due to her teaching/meeting schedules, etc. I was VERY careful not to pressure her about this, too...it had to be her decision. But when she pushed the button, I ran out and bought her a comfortable helmet to celebrate. GAS is real... (gear acquisition syndrome)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...