Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spray gun recommendation for WB finishes

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here's some pretty thorough information on the latest model of the 3M Accuspray gun. They make a pressurized version of the first gun, and I would think they would of these, as well, but haven't looked for it. Notice it calls for 13cfm of air.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collisio...BoCp-gQAvD_BwE
    I considered the 3M Accuspray gun before I bought the Qualspray. The deciding factor was the large air consumption of the Accuspray. If not for that I would have been all in. If they make one with low air consumption I'd still consider buying it for stuff I'd rather not be bothered with clean up, like BiN pigmented shellac primer.

John

Yesterday and today I finally had a chance to try the Fjui and 3m guns together. I got a couple of roll ends of newsprint from the local printing plant and I clip a sheet of it to a of big piece of cardboard for a test surface. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a 1.7 N/N combination for the Fuji and now it sprays GF HP Topcoat a lot better. Much better defined fan pattern and adequate quantity of fluid, much more consistent coverage. A 1.8 would probably be better but the retailer I used only had the 1.7 kit. So the Fuji gun is back on the table. I'm going to get a PPS cup converter for it.

The 3M gun is pretty good for what it is, an all plastic gun. The fan pattern is fairly adjustable but as I mentioned earlier it uses a lot of air and I need to do some replumbing to remove my secondary regulator at the spray station to deliver an adequate amount of air. It puts out an even pattern and has a pretty well defined fan. Cleaning it is VERY easy, and the disposable lids and cups are also easy to clean, at least when using WB finishes, so I can recycle them. One thing I like about the PPS cup system is the strainer screen built into the lid; no messing around with separate paper and mesh strainers.

It's good to have options Dave. Glad to hear the Fuji works better with the 1.7 mm N/N. I bet if you add just a couple percent water to the HP it will spray great. Or just switch to Enduro Clear Poly. It has much lower viscosity so it will spray great w/o thinning, and the chemical durability and abrasion resistance are substantially higher.

You've pointed out more benefits of the PPS cups. The filters built into the lids make pre-filtering unnecessary except for really contaminated stuff. And cleaning the lids and liners is so simple with WB finishes that I keep reusing them until the liner gets a tear in the top lip and the gun seal wears out on the lid. I've used some of them for a couple of years. The cost of disposables turns out to be very low.

John

I spray Milesi waterbase finish through one of these Anest Iwata guns with the Pressure Assisted System. It was recommended by my paint supplier (they called it an Air Gunsa 9262) and I couldn't find much info on line so I went in blindly taking their advise. It's a great gun for thick finishes. The Milesi stuff I was spraying is as thick as yogurt and this gun does the trick. The little regulator that pressurizes the cup is VERY sensitive, just a slight turn makes a big difference, but once it's dialed in it works great. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGZgejCiZ8
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Thanks for that tip. I looked online, and most sellers listed first are not in this country, but I found a seller on ebay for $278. That's not a bad price for a good gun. It's available with a choice of nozzle sizes. I'm thinking the 1.8. Which do you use for the Milesi? Most of what I would use it for would not ask for as wide a fan as seen in that video.

I realize the fan width is adjustable, but wondering if, sort of like airless tips, a smaller nozzle would work better for narrower fans, since there is some pressure on material delivery to the tip.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-09-2021 at 1:34 PM.

Got a link for that gun?

I use a 1.8. And I think that's about what I paid for mine a couple of years ago. Just called the paint guy at my distributor (I'd say the company but I don't know if that violates the rules. PM me and I'll tell you the company and give you Mike's number). He said there's still not a lot of info out there for some reason. They didn't even put the pressure stuff in the new catalog. But they keep a few on their shelves and it's the only gun they recommend for the thicker Milesi stuff. It's an Anest Iwata but Air Gunsa makes it? I don't know. I do know I fought that finish for 2 weeks, thinning it, changing tips, cranking pressure, and finally asked Mike. I bought that gun and had the project finished the next day.

Mike said he tried a 2.0 but it didn't spray as evenly as the 1.8. That's all they offer in their guns.

Dave, I can't find one from the States. No idea why. Here's one that's at least in english. https://anest-iwata.com.au/products/...gun/az3hte2pas
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Shannon are you spraying polyester or Urathane or? Ive customized lots of spray guns after trying my first pressure pot system. It was clear its a good thing having a turbo. This originally a gravity feed.

DVC05167.JPG