Thread: 3 1/4 HP Router availability

3 1/4 HP Router availability

I just noticed that the Bora Portamate PM-P254 router is available again on Amazon and Woodcraft for anyone wanting replacement for broken Porter Cable.
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    ShopBot Benchtop with 4G Upgrade
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    I just noticed that the Bora Portamate PM-P254 router is available again on Amazon and Woodcraft for anyone wanting replacement for broken Porter Cable.
    believe it’s being discontinued / superseded - hence, the close out pricing.

Here's the new model Bora

https://boratool.com/blog/bora-tool-...-router-motor/

“In updating our old router motor model, we’re making it easier than ever for anyone who works with wood to build something amazing,” says Rod Bonham, Product Manager for BORA® Tool. “What’s great about this new model is that you can buy the components separately, or together as a complete machine. You’ve got flexibility now in how you use it, which is so important in woodworking.”

Key features of the PM-6200 Router Motor include:

3.25 Variable Speed
    Soft start and variable speed dial ensure complete control
    Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
    15 AMP motor offers 10,000 to 22,000 RPM for smooth routing
    4.2” diameter motor for easy use with router lifts
    Precision ER collets for secure, accurate routing
    ¼” and ½” collets and offset wrenches included

What are the differences between the new and the old model? I see soft-start. Any other?

I have the old model, it already has soft start so feature wise I don't see any difference. They have redesigned the whole upper housing, moved the on/off switch.

rt05.jpg

Looks like the upper housing has changed and they have ER collets. The advertised price is $299. I guess Woodcraft and Amazon are getting rid of old stock they have "found" and their prices are below $220 which is a lot better than the $500 to $600 found on E bay 6 months ago. Looks like a great improvement and price for the only known replacement for CNC and router table lifts. https://boratool.com/soft-start-router-motor
    Mike Kelly
    _________
    ShopBot Benchtop with 4G Upgrade
    Small Homemade CNC
    Sherline CNC Mill
    Aspire 4.5
    AutoCAD
    CorelDraw

ER collets being available is "yuge" IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree the ER collets is a major upgrade. Maybe speaks to improved spindle accuracy (runout) which was a complaint of the older model.

Do they say what series ER collets it accepts?

ER collets are very common in metalworking, especially milling, and CNC equipment, and are available for a wide variety of tool shank sizes (within the limits of the series).

I don't know that ER collets are intrinsically more accurate than similar style router collets. There are cheap ER collets available online that probably aren't any better than run of the mill router collets.

-- Andy - Arlington TX