Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best finish for black walnut?

I continue to finish black walnut with oil, wax free shellac and waterborne clear in many cases. Sometimes I just use shellac. Since I don't have a place for spraying at present, I'm (reluctantly) using some oil based finish, brushed or wiped at present which also looks good, albeit with the downside of much longer dry times for each coat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions. I've got enuf scrap that I'll try out a few and see how they match up with the look I'm after.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Minwax Special Walnut stain wiped on then light sanding of raised grain followed by a second wipe of stain. Then any protective topcoat.

I like using dark garnet shellac in a 1lb cut over bare black walnut and then top it off with whatever clearcoat I choose at the time. I find that the dark garnet in the 1lb cut tends to pop the walnut colors much better. I've also used an oil finish that has done well too.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I use a walnut stain on walnut because the walnut I get (which comes from northwestern Pennsylvania) lightens over time.

Just saw this comparison of finishes for black walnut including some suggested by respondents to your query. https://www.targetcoatings.com/2021/...ishing-review/
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I like Odies Oil and Tried and True. Also recommend Sutherland and Wells polymerized tung oil. Really adds some nice warmth and the walnut I have finished with it has not lightened.