Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding a gas leak

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    My gas utility will usually come within 90 minutes if a gas leak inside or outside of a house is suspected. I called once because I smelled gas in my utility room, but they found nothing. Another time I smelled gas near the meter. That time they found my natural gas generator was leaking and the technician red tagged it. It must have been leaking pretty good to be detectable by my nose outdoors. The gas valve in the generator was bad and not closing all the way.

Like others have said, call the gas company.
    I agree. I had a leak and called the gas company - they were at my place before I could turn around. They take gas leaks VERY seriously.

And they have top quality sniffers to detect the leak.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Before calling the gas company I’d close the door for a couple of days so when they open it, they can smell the odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Before calling the gas company I’d close the door for a couple of days so when they open it, they can smell the odor.
    Not necessary, like Mike said they have top quality detectors, they don't need to be able to smell it. It would be interesting to hear whether they use ultrasonic detectors to hear the leak or oudor sniffers to detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Somewhere in our laundry/utility room there is a minute gas leak. If you close the door for a couple days the odor is noticeable, with the door open DW can smell it, I can't. This has been the case since the piping was installed. It passed the required pressure test for inspection.

I've been over every junction with soap solution and can't see any sign of a leak. The odor is so faint, I expect that the leak is very small (along with it having passed the pressure test). Between furnace, HW heater, gas dryer, and piping to the generator there are a _lot_ of joints.

Is there a more sophisticated leak detection system available?
    I bought this one when I suspected a leak in a gas range. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BM1XWB8
    It worked well when tested with an intentional leak. (gas range was ok)

BTW, is this natural gas or propane? If propane, is it from a tank that has been filled a few times? The reason I ask is I found out that the mercaptan can gradually settle to the bottom of a tank and a tank that has been refilled several times can build up a concentration. When the gas in the tank gets low, the odor becomes noticeable with normal use even when there is no leak. The propane dealer told me he's seen cases with a large tank where the whole house smelled like it would explode with a spark! In my case, the tank was very low and the odor made us suspect a leak in the cooktop. My tester and the expensive one the appliance tech used found no leak. The odor went away when the tank was filled.

If piped-in gas, nevermind!

BTW2, for others testing with a soap solution, the absolute best test I found is the solution sold for blowing bubbles. I bought a 5-lifetime supply (a couple of gallons) for $1 at Walmart at the end of the summer season one year. I use it on compressed air lines, tires, valve stems, tools, gas lines, etc. I apply a couple of drops with an eyedropper. Makes far better bubbles than anything I've mixed up from dish detergent and stays on the threads better too.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Gas Co. They are quick to respond and have the right gear. No charge where I live.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The gas company techs I’ve dealt with at work all say they can’t even smell it anymore. They use solution and electronic detectors.

You can get leak detection solution that is better than just a homemade soap solution—it’s much thicker (probably just a high concentration of glycerin). I think I use one at work called Big Blu.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Maybe the gas valve isnt shutting well in one of the pieces of gas equipment. If this is the case the gas company will turn it off and tell you to call an appliance repair guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Call the gas company. they will do it for free with top quality equipment.
    Bill D
    This is what I was thinking. Or else your local fire department.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    This is what I was thinking. Or else your local fire department.
    Fire department is a good idea.

I asked earlier if the gas was propane from a tank or a gas line from a utility but didn't see a response. My thinking was if it was from a user-owned propane tank there may not be a gas utility to call to check. I'll remember the fire department idea!!

I hope you have already solved your problem by now, but if you haven't...
    The gas company will check for a leak for free. But understand that depending on the problem, but will either shut off your gas immediately, or give you a couple days to have it fixed.

My local gas company will loan out a $15,000 flir infared scanner for home owners to check insulation. I can only imagine how expensive their gas detection stuff is that they feel is too expensive to loan out.
    Is the op a trained ng leak detector? does he know the likely leak spots, should the detector be manual or automatic pump. sniff to bottom or top of fittings etc. If the answer is "no" to any of these questions let the professionals do it for free.
    Bill D

I would look at the gas shut off valves. I had one that was older and had a small scent and if you put your nose next to it you detect it. Were the shut offs replaced and if not maybe they need to be.
    John T.

Natural gas from the utility company, not propane. I agree at this point that calling the gas company is undoubtedly the easiest thing to do. Though I have turned off the gas to the dryer and closed the door, will see if the smell has gone away.

This has been going on for about 7 years at this point, with DW thinking she could smell something sometimes and me mostly not. Both our plumbers and the town gas inspector have been in and out of the space when we installed a generator last year without noticing anything.

While the nose can be a clue, the best way to test for gas leaks involves specialized equipment to do so. The utility folks carry those for such situations and the devices can help locate a leak exactly. I had our local utility do that as a courtesy a number of years ago at our old property when some changes had been made to the gas lines in the house and we had that occasional tiny "whiff" of the stuff they put in the gas that gives it the odor. (natural gas has no major odor on it's own) He was thorough and we did not find anything amiss...the "whiff" was probably a lingering artifact from the work that was done.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do not know the numbers for natural gas, which is oderized and probably easier to detect but for Freon detectors 0.006 oz/yr (stationary) 0.1 oz/yr (moving per SAE J2791) is the minimum that they must be able to sniff out.
    So the gas company is much better equipped and trained then your mark one nose.
    Bill D