Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding a gas leak

Finding a gas leak

Somewhere in our laundry/utility room there is a minute gas leak. If you close the door for a couple days the odor is noticeable, with the door open DW can smell it, I can't. This has been the case since the piping was installed. It passed the required pressure test for inspection.

I've been over every junction with soap solution and can't see any sign of a leak. The odor is so faint, I expect that the leak is very small (along with it having passed the pressure test). Between furnace, HW heater, gas dryer, and piping to the generator there are a _lot_ of joints.

Is there a more sophisticated leak detection system available?

I wonder if a refrigerant leak detector would work. Some are pretty sensitive. I never studied how mine works, but know it uses a heated diode. It can find a Very slow leak.

Call the gas company. they will do it for free with top quality equipment.
    Bill D

Are you sure it is not urine or skunk? at very low levels they can smell similar.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-29-2021 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Somewhere in our laundry/utility room there is a minute gas leak. If you close the door for a couple days the odor is noticeable, with the door open DW can smell it, I can't. This has been the case since the piping was installed. It passed the required pressure test for inspection.

I've been over every junction with soap solution and can't see any sign of a leak.

soap all fittings completely , probably a "sand hole" in one of the fittings, not a leaking thread joint
    good luck
    Ron

Might look at this. Or, talk to a home inspector, they may have one already?

A bit outside the scope of the problem, but if you work in confined spaces and worry about the atmosphere, try a clip-on 4-gas detector.

There's also the off chance that the gas valve/internal piping on the furnace, HW heater, gas dryer might be leaking.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Just thinking out loud-- how about draping a cheap red shop rag around all the connections you can, and check them all a few days later for residual smell trapped in the fibers--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    There's also the off chance that the gas valve/internal piping on the furnace, HW heater, gas dryer might be leaking.
    That's what I'm thinking also. The only thing I used to find gas leaks is water, a little Dawn, and a spray bottle.

I think I'll try shutting the gas supply to the furnace and dryer off and see if the small goes away. I'm most suspicious of the dryer.

I'm with Bill, call the gas company, gas leaks are not a DIY thing.

It could be a pin hole leak in a length of pipe we had some bad pipe back in 1990 that had pin holes had to replace all the lines

Does the dryer use a flex line? If so, spray the whole length of it. They recommend you replace them when you replace the appliance because they develop leaks if flexed enough times.

Yes, flex line on the dryer, new about three years ago when the dryer was installed. It has only been moved once that I can recall, but that is certainly a candidate. Shutting off the supply to the dryer will help me pinpoint that, but it will probably take a week or so tell. Again, the odor is very faint. We've been debating for years whether or not it's really there. (She's right again, of course. When will I learn?)

My gas utility will usually come within 90 minutes if a gas leak inside or outside of a house is suspected. I called once because I smelled gas in my utility room, but they found nothing. Another time I smelled gas near the meter. That time they found my natural gas generator was leaking and the technician red tagged it. It must have been leaking pretty good to be detectable by my nose outdoors. The gas valve in the generator was bad and not closing all the way.

Like others have said, call the gas company.