Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figs

Figs

The figs have been abundant here this year so I made a fig cobbler while my Lovely Bride supervised nicely from her wheelchair (week two after foot surgery).
    We grow several varieties of figs which adds a bit of extra color. Warm cobbler, a bit of vanilla ice cream, a touch of whipped cream...

fig_cobbler.jpg

JKJ

Do you ship to Canada? Looks delicious.

Yum! Cobbler + ice cream is a match made in heaven!

Blog Entries
    I do love me some figs. Never had fig cobbler though. Figs & fig jam are great additions to many savory dishes as well.

What varieties do you grow in Tennessee?

Blog Entries
    We have a local banana we call figs. They taste like sugared butter.
    B5624A5E-487B-47B1-B6C9-96A576BB63A6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    ...Figs & fig jam are great additions to many savory dishes as well.
    I wasn't aware of the range of possibilities until recently. My wife made a prosciutto and fig concoction a few days ago.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I wasn't aware of the range of possibilities until recently. My wife made a prosciutto and fig concoction a few days ago.

JKJ
    Ah, stop it! Your killin' me

Figs only grow in hothouses around here, and fresh figs are pretty rare in the markets. But what a treat they are for the many people who have never tasted one.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What varieties do you grow in Tennessee?
    There are several that will grow in this zone but may need extra care in a cold spell.

The one on the left in this picture is the unknown variety that was here when we moved in. The fruit is usually quite a bit larger than the sample shown (the only one ripe when I took this picture today), turns from green to yellowish-green when ripe.
    The one on the right is a Celeste according to the label.
    I have another plant that has the label "Black Fig" but so far it hasn't produced many. Perhaps it's not as suited for this climate.

figs.jpg

The Celeste is the largest plant and producing the most fruit. This one (out of focus!) is not quite ripe. I already picked the ripe ones today!

fig_celeste.jpg

JKJ

We love our figs. The Brown Turkey Fig I planted 12 years ago here in tidewater VA has done well. This year has been it's best and we've been swamped with figs. Figs with prosciutto, figs on the grill with blue cheese, or just drizzled with honey and balsamic vinegar, fig preserves, fig jam, fig butter, dried figs....more than enough figs to give away...the neighbors draw the shades when they see me coming. It is possible to have too many figs. The birds have thanked me too.

IMG_5150.jpg, IMG_5176.jpg, IMG_5317.jpg, IMG_5238.jpg

Well I do not have a picture, but a fond memory. About 1946-47 my mother was canning some figs in light syrup and she wanted them WHOLE I was called to help.
    My job was to carefully press the side of each fig so it would drop into the quart canning jar, other wise the fig was just sitting on top of the jar since the air could not escape.
    That was the last time the figs were that large.
    I made three pints of fig preserves this year.
    Plant a tree, help it grow, children need something to climb.

Figs

The photo shows our fig. It is about 50’ across in the shown dimension and drips down the slope about 20-30’. I pruned probably 1/4 of it out last winter. I suspect next year to be a bumper crop once it recovers from the shock. My wife makes fig newtons and they are fabulous. We are not big fig eaters and have a hard time giving them away. We have three doe and five fawns who work it and neighbors fig over pretty good. It is a nice tree to sit under on a summer days and it is the grandkids monkey bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    The photo shows our fig. It is about 50’ across in the shown dimension and drips down the slope about 20-30’. I pruned probably 1/4 of it out last winter. I suspect next year to be a bumper crop once it recovers from the shock. My wife makes fig newtons and they are fabulous. We are not big fig eaters and have a hard time giving them away. We have three doe and five fawns who work it and neighbors fig over pretty good. It is a nice tree to sit under on a summer days and it is the grandkids monkey bars.
    Hey, do you have a favorite recipe for fig newtons? Is it a closely guarded family secret?

JKJ

JKJ look for a recipe for Italian fig cookies, and you can get pretty close to the filling part. But they start with dried figs. Wife makes them every year. The dough part of a fig newton might be a bit harder.
    < insert spurious quote here >