Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Coupons

Harbor Freight Coupons

Has Harbor Freight discontinued it's coupons for merchandise? It looks like now it's only on select items. I'm not finding coupons in the magazines I used to either.

There has been some general 10% off coupons on-line for a few limited weekends, but that is pretty much it. They seemed to have done away with the monthly 10% and 20% coupons about a year ago.

They were the subject of some kind of consumer or class action suit that never made any sense to me. About the time that came to a head, they stopped the coupons. I have had few complaints, if any about items I purchased there.

I know some idiot "consumer" advocacy outfit sued Lowes because 2 x 4's are do not measure 2 inch x 4 inch. Almost every one with a 4th grade education knows that and why. Next they will be suing the power company over whether voltage sold is 110 or 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    ...I know some idiot "consumer" advocacy outfit sued Lowes because 2 x 4's are do not measure 2 inch x 4 inch. Almost every one with a 4th grade education knows that and why. Next they will be suing the power company over whether voltage sold is 110 or 120.
    Last year I bought some 2 X 2 furring strips from Lowes for a shiplap ceiling in the laundry room. There already was some 2 X 2's in place from a previous ceiling, I just needed to fill in some gaps.

All of the 2 X 2s from Lowes measured exactly 1 3/8" by 1 3/8" making them useless. I didn't see that until I had cut them into sections and started installing them. Didn't sue but I sure haven't set foot in the store since.

They made good kindling for the fire pot.

-Tom

They stopped mailers and newspaper inserts a few months ago, here. I was told that they would now only be emailing coupons to customers on their mailing list. A cost-effective measure.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    Last year I bought some 2 X 2 furring strips from Lowes for a shiplap ceiling in the laundry room. There already was some 2 X 2's in place from a previous ceiling, I just needed to fill in some gaps.

All of the 2 X 2s from Lowes measured exactly 1 3/8" by 1 3/8" making them useless. I didn't see that until I had cut them into sections and started installing them. Didn't sue but I sure haven't set foot in the store since.

They made good kindling for the fire pot.

-Tom
    That's interesting. On the Home Depot web site, the specs for their 2x2 furring strips are 1.375 x 1.375. But both Lowes and Menards list theirs as 1.5 x 1.5. I suppose in most cases it doesn't matter, but still ...

Since 1969, the standard size for a 2x4 has been 1.5 x 3.5 inches as mandated by the US Dept of Commerce., But there were various larger "standard sizes before that. standard 1x lumber is actually 3/4. a double thickness would be 1.5 inches.

I believe the HD got sued a few years ago for not properly listing the actual dimensions of lumber.

HF got sued for listing excessive “compare at” prices, falsely claiming you saved a lot over the competition.

HF is trying to go legit it seems. Less total junk stuff, and they have a cheap, medium, and expensive version of every power tool. I stopped by the other day waiting for another store to open and came out with only some magnetic hooks to hold feather boards from my Uni.

I got some 2x4s that were 1.5 x 3 3/8 a few years ago. I couldn't remember which store I got them from to complain about it.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    That's interesting. On the Home Depot web site, the specs for their 2x2 furring strips are 1.375 x 1.375. But both Lowes and Menards list theirs as 1.5 x 1.5. I suppose in most cases it doesn't matter, but still ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Since 1969, the standard size for a 2x4 has been 1.5 x 3.5 inches as mandated by the US Dept of Commerce., But there were various larger "standard sizes before that. standard 1x lumber is actually 3/4. a double thickness would be 1.5 inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I got some 2x4s that were 1.5 x 3 3/8 a few years ago. I couldn't remember which store I got them from to complain about it.
    Dang, that will make me have to be more careful when purchasing lumber. My usual practice is to buy lumber when not needed or more than needed on a project so eventually there is enough left overs to take care of an emergency project or whim without having to run into town.

My recent purchase of 2X2 clear cedar looks to be 1-1/2. Now my tape measure will have to come out.

Curiosity got the better of me. The cedar 2X2s measured 1-7/16".

What is the world coming to?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-30-2021 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Curiosity got the better of me
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

HFT uses email for promotional purposes now for the most part, rather than paper coupons in publications. Most coupons have significant limitations on what you can use them on, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Harbor Freight really went down hill here and the e mails are more ads then deals

I imagine HF is in the same boat as most of us in the tool manufacturing industry: Margins were never great to begin with and the ongoing raw materials/supply chain price increases need to get passed along to the consumer. Not really surprising that they are offering less deals.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Their power tools are not any better price then good ones but their quality isn't as good

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Their power tools are not any better price then good ones but their quality isn't as good
    I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the Bauer 20v stuff I own. Is it up the the level as my Festool gear? Nope. But it's certainly right there with the box-store focused cordless stuff. I think they have upped their game on a lot of things, but as always, shop carefully.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had a HF hammer-drill and jigsaw for years and they have served me fine. The hammer-drill has actually been used to drill the anchor bolt holes for two CNC routers so far. One was a 14" 5-axis machine. Their bits are probably junk (I buy Bosch) but the tools have been fine.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep