Thread: Oliver 4240 jointer.

Oliver 4240 jointer.

So I have the opportunity to purchase a 10 "oliver 4240 jointer near me for $750. I'm am unfamiliar with Oliver jointers. I'm sure it will be a massive upgrade from my current benchtop model but I was just looking for some information on the jointer and whether that is a good deal.01717_ckrRqu9av2Nz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

sure there are guys here that know that model, i dont but just from the photo looks like good weight there. Yes massive upgrade from a benchtop, never used one and no intereste. 750.00 would be a good price for even a lighter 8" jointer like General or others

I think that is a cast iron base 1,000 pound machine. made in Asia? Cost around $2,000 new. Is it single phase? Probably no better 8" jointer. That is a great price if 8" is big enough buy it. or save up at least double that amount to get something not as good.
    Bill D

Yes, that looks like one of the late model Asian Olivers, not one of the old iron machines. It still looks like a good machine, and an 8" jointer is a great all around size for a smaller shop.

That's a good price for a 10" jointer that works. If you can run it, see if it will joint a straight edge at various points across the table width. If so, snatch it up. If not, it could be due to dull knives, poorly adjusted outfeed table or tables that are not coplanar. The last is difficult to fix with this style (inclined ways) of jointer. Check for coplanarity of the tables with the longest, most accurate straightedge you can lay your hands on.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 08-29-2021 at 8:29 PM.

I own an Oliver 4240 with a Byrd head. $750.00 is a steal if the machine is in good shape. That is, the tables are coplaner and so on. Mine has a Baldor 5hp 3 phase motor that I run with a VFD. Excellent machine with no complaints. It is in the 800 pound range for weight. Cast iron base with a formed heavy sheet metal cabinet between the base and the jointer. I put mine on a homemade base with four swivel casters so I could move it out of the way when needed.