Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving Martin T75 Saw

Moving Martin T75 Saw

I have a 1970s Martin T75 enroute this week. Unfortunately, it is coming on a flatbed trailer with a 30” deck. Getting the saw from the deck to the ground has me a little anxious, and brought me here for affirmation/advice. My current game plan is to use my pallet Jack to move the machine to the back of the trailer, position my 2 ton engine hoist under the trailer to lift the saw, have the trailer pull forward and away, and finally lower the saw to blocking/pallet Jack on the ground. Once it is on the ground I am confident I can get it where I need it to be using my pallet Jack. My driveway has a slight incline, but it’s nothing terrible that two people pushing can’t overcome. First, has anyone used an engine hoist to move a large object from a truck bed? Was it sketchy or simple? Next, I can’t find an English manual for this saw, just the German one. It weighs 900kgs, but I want to make sure I’m not damaging it by using straps under the table to lift the whole machine. I will obviously avoid applying force to the sliding table carriage. I think I read Mark’s restore of a T17 that all the internals hang off the table anyway. The table of the T17 in my garage is quite robust and I imagine it could be picked up that way without damage, but I’m no expert. Finally, does anyone have contact info for Patrick Walsh? He hasn’t logged in since last year, and I think he’s the guy I need to speak to about moving this machine. He is intimately familiar with the make after all.

I think most lift machines from tables but I still felt odd about it. I drill the bottoms and chain to the four corners then lift from the chain above the machine. If it can sit on the base then it can be lifted from the base and not hurt anything. Its more work for sure. Will send Patrick an email, sure he will contact you if he has time. He posted lots on the restoration of the machine and moving it as well.

I have a T75 (made in 1975), and that one weighs a bit more than 900kg.
    Mine came in at just over 2500lbs, but does have a 10' table, so that can add a few pounds to an 8' version.

As to lifting the T75 with an engine hoist, most are rated at 2 tons without the boom extended at all.
    As soon as the boom is extended enough to balance something as large as that saw, the rating drops by at least half, if not more.
    Another thing to consider is the top of the saw on that trailer will be at about 66" or so above the ground, if not higher.
    The engine hoist may not have enough height extension to lift a rigged up table saw.

Obviously a forklift or a gantry crane would be the ideal way to go, but sometimes that isn't possible or practical.
    My saw was delivered in a 5 ton truck with a lift gate, and it was nerve-racking as it was being loaded on the lift gate and lowered!

I believe Patrick Walsh disassembled a good bit of his T75 to get it into his shop, but he would most certainly have some very good insight into moving heavy machinery.

Good luck, and congrats on a great saw!!

I think the weight is going to be around 2300lbs. Here is a screen shot from a sales brochure. Does not say if that’s for the 8’ or 10’ saw.
    when I sold my 8’ T75 to a furniture maker 3 miles down the county road I moved it with my skid steer. It will lift 2600 lbs and I could tell we were near the limit with the T75.
    CD9237A0-A581-4985-A1DA-0C06C08534D9.jpg
    Might be possible to lift from the table but again risky. While restoring my T17 I lifted the table and flipped it with the innards attached using the forks with slings and a electric hoist to assist flipping. Very tricky rigging to get the balance right. With a hoist you will be at a disadvantage with a single lifting point. Also on the T75 I think you will have to go under the sliding table base with a sling. That is attached to the saw with dovetail ways so it can move. Possibly not a good idea to lif from there. Not sure if you can get a sling under the top next to the wagon.
    A lot simpler to rent a forklift if possible. Or have it dropped somewhere to get it on a low trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    ... I drill the bottoms and chain to the four corners then lift from the chain above the machine. ...
    I think most riggers would ^agree^. Keep in mind the inward, or crush, load applied by chains rigged in this fashion. Either use relatively long chains and merge them well above the load, or look at a spreader.

I would be exploring other options if it were me. Considering the size and heft of this machine I would be doubtful your engine hoist is up to the task. Two ton is with the boom all the way in. I don't think you will be able to do it but it's your call. If you can turn it sideways on the trailer maybe. What is your plan if it's not capable of handling it? Are you going to lower it onto blocking if it will pick it up? Because with the boom fully retracted or very close to it the base is going to be coming down on the legs of the hoist. Maybe a gantry crane can be rented at a local rental store? Or hire a roll back wrecker to slide it on to the deck of it and then ease it down the incline to the driveway. In fact it should be able to put it inside on the garage/shop floor. I'd hate for you to have a disaster happen after getting it all the way to your driveway. Keep us posted and congrats on your acquisition.

Blog Entries
    No way on the engine hoist, would not risk it. They can get out of control very easily.

I wouldn’t pick that machine up from the table.

Can you rent a forklift in your area?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Look in the manual for instructions on lifting points, most big, heavy machines will provide instructions or a diagram for the safest method of lifting. If it is designed, as is likely, to be lifted by the table, then do that.

Hire a crane or forklift, as appropriate, to do the actual move. You'll be really unhappy if you break your hoist and damage the saw by dropping it. Or if someone gets hurt.

Some things are just not worth messing around with.

Rent a forklift for both safety and lifting capacity. You may also need longer forks to do the job, depending on the dimensions of the machine. I agree with Brian...no way would I attempt something like this with an engine hoist.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

First, thanks for all the quick responses. Second, this is why this forum is great. Anywhere else would have shrugged and suggested I buy a sawstop. Half of you have actually moved the same machine in your lifetime.

I briefly searched for renting a forklift here, and Not much came up. More than renting a forklift, You all have me leaning towards getting someone to get it off the deck. The saw was a ridiculous price, my shipping is $615, and I can afford a few hundred more to get it off safely. Now, just a matter of finding the folks to do that on Tuesday. IÂ’ve boot strapped every other tool move and never once considered riggers. Namely, because IÂ’m about to get a quote for $500 to have some guy drive a forklift here, unload the saw in 5 minutes, and drive away.

I unloaded the T17 last year in the dead of night—Ushippers arrived at 2:45am—and the knuckleheads put the saw directly on the bed of the trailer. It’s heavy, but the three of us scooted it to the end of the tilting trailer and onto my pallet Jack. Homeward bound anytime something is on the ground and on a pallet Jack. This one has me anxious only because of the height. And the ramps off those goosenecks are always short and steep.

Blog Entries
    I unloaded my Felder CF741 which weighs a bit more than the Martin by renting a Bobcat and putting forks on it. I rented it for the day and it came on a trailer -- cost about $300...

Mike

Patrick said he would not lift from the top, Joes numbers are close to what Patrick said in the past on the weight of his saw. For me I dont have a set way but done my mcgiver chain way a number of times. When I bought the smaller SCM slider i did it myself on beams and a block and tackle pulled it onto a trailer and slid it off. That wont work for you. Forget the engine hoist. I think people do too much with those though a friend turned a small wide belt sideways for me and moved it. I was more than concerned but it worked.

Chains work for me., cut off carpets go around the machine then smaller chains go around from one chain to another so they cannot shift too much. I had to adjust to what was there to lift stuff off and often it wa a farm vehicle. The best one was their last new one and the kid driving was very precise.

One other thing about chains for me is I moved on my car trailer (not this one) and the wheels were always in the way, wiht the chains they put forks under the chain and then lowered it onto the trailer, otherwise some other way would be needed. At this end a farm vehicle just llifted under the chains and up and over the wheels. In this case I set the jointer on beams with straps under and over and that effectivliy increased the base of the machine to the length of the beams so it was very stable to drive. A strap also ran to all four corners of the trailer. This end a farm vehicle went under the chains and simple and easy. One other reason for chains is if you have to change height levels to a lower area, forks will be useless. Ive lowered stuff before over 50" and forks could not be used. I adjust to what I was doing. This machine only 1,600 lbs so light compared to what you are doing.

P1510092A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-29-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Another cautionary recommendation to not use the cherry picker to lift it off. Too much weight, too high and it's just begging for failure. When that sort of thing fails it is always catastrophic.

A rental telehandler, skid steer, forklift, crane, tractor and loader, etc would all be highly recommended. I have yet to see a location that doesn't have someone renting this stuff. Put an add on your local social media and you'll likely get 10x more leads than you need.

Can the arm of the engine crane lift high enough to get on top of the saw 30 inches up on top of a trailer deck? How tall is that saw to the top of the table? See if you can rent a gantry crane and a spreader bar or two
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    ... Namely, because IÂ’m about to get a quote for $500 to have some guy drive a forklift here, unload the saw in 5 minutes, and drive away.
    I used to question the sanity of customers who would call me in the middle of the night, have me drive 75 miles, walk in, trouble-shoot the problem, find or suggest a fix, and leave. Once it took longer to type this than to find the problem (a sheared shaft key). It was a 4 hour minimum at emergency rates (2.5X my std) + travel + mileage. Then someone said factor in the potential lost production, poor quality, equipment depreciation, and staff standing around - if they waited until morning. It finally made more sense.

Perhaps a rigger will seem more worthwhile, if you factor in the cost of all the things that can go wrong? ...But won't with a qualified rigging crew.

Good luck & 'good work' with your new arrival!