Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Writing Desk

The Writing Desk

I have finally completed the Writing Desk. It took longer than I expected, as it usually does.

Highlights: I modified the original Christian Becksvoort design to make it slightly less Shaker and slightly more contemporary. The front, back and sides of the top have slight faired curves that I think kicks it up a notch in terms of overall appearance. I continued the curved theme by including a curve on the drawer front: not easy to see any of this in the photos, unfortunately. The black dot in the center of the drawer front is an ebony inlay: I included this design feature to match a similar design detail on the furnishings in the room where this will be housed. I made the top from two nice pieces of curly cherry that I was saving for just this project: it has lots of character, just the way I like it. Pinned mortise/tenon joints on the legs are regulation Shaker. The drawer frame is maple, and the scraps I scrounged for this ended up having a nice tiger stripe: a nice surprise each time you open the drawer, Drawer bottom is nearly clear eastern white pine. The goal was to build a desk that had a light look: not a fan of the traditional desks that have rows of drawers from top to floor on either end. I think this will fit well in the room it was designed for, and I look forward to the day when I can sit at this desk at write my last mortgage check!

Next project: a bed (shaker, of course). Stay tuned for more exciting developments!

Blog Entries
    Nice looking desk Phil.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sweet and very well illuminated for the photos.

That is beautiful -- very nice work.

Really nice job. I need to use some Cherry on a project.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Beautiful desk and inspiring as well.

Love it! Simple and beatiful.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Another gallery worthy stunner! Well done sir!

Another winner Phil. Very nice work.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Great work. I like the under bevel along the front and the wavy grain.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Nice work, Phil, you must have hid the cherry from me last time I was over haha! How’d you create that bevel under the top, must have been a lot of band work. Your home is turning into a very special furniture gallery!

Thanks for sharing, take care.

Kevin

Very handsome work! Beautiful design and execution. Congratulations. -Howard

Thanks gents for the kind words! I have attached two more photos showing the table in its place of honor in what we call the addition (clever name for a room don't you think?). You can see the same black dot detail on the window rosette blocks (detail is also carried through with door/drawer pulls and even the design of the rug).

Bevels: the bevel on front/back was done with a 60° chamfer router bit. The very wide bevel under each end of the top (6 inches) was done with a low angle jack plane (very easy and very efficient).

Again: thanks much for all the great comments: much appreciated!

Outstanding!

Couple of thoughts:

1. Are you perhaps a professional Photographer? Guessing based on the lightening.
    2. Wow, that is amazing wood and grain. Love how it flows.
    3. Wow, really great work.
    4. Is that a writing desk? (my ignorance shows through) I had no idea because I usually see people put this sort of thing in a foyer or something. That makes more sense now that you state it, however.

Very well done, appreciate the pics.