Thread: Special Glasses for using a laser to hang cabinets

Special Glasses for using a laser to hang cabinets

I apologize in advance if this should be in a different forum, but...does anyone know the proper glasses that should be worn when using a laser in a kitchen to set cabinets? I have a dewalt laser and I know that there are special glasses to protect your eyes. I've tried to find them but have had no luck. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Blog Entries
    No need for that. Just don’t look directly into the laser where it comes out of the machine and you’re fine.

While "don't look at it" is great advice, anyone who has used or worked around laser pointers and and levels knows it's not always possible to avoid inadvertent exposure. Brief flashes of low power red (630-670 nM) light are unlikely to cause a lot of permanent damage, the chances go up with higher power green (532 nM) lasers. The problem is that glasses that effectively protect you from damage also block your ability to see the laser line or spot you're trying to work with.

If you search for "laser safety glasses" you will find many options, but note they must be tuned to the frequency used by your laser. So glasses that block red lasers will have green lenses matched to block the 630-670 nM light, glasses for green lasers will have red/orange appearing lenses. Searching with a term like "532 nm laser safety glasses" will get you exactly what you need for a green laser.

In reality, there don't seem to be a lot of carpenters blinding themselves with their laser levels, so "don't look into it" may be sufficient advice. OTOH, I don't know how carefully small cumulative vision losses have been investigated. You may well want to try a pair of glasses to see how they work for you. In any event, wear safety glasses of some sort; the risk from flying objects and debris on any construction site or workshop is huge, and seriously not worth taking.

They make red lens glasses. My laser came with a set

The red lens glasses are to enhance your ability to see a red dot/line-- they pass the laser frequency light through, but not the background. They would be the opposite of safety glasses for a red laser.

Laser levels are class IIIA lasers and are considered safe for unintentional exposure. Just don't do the latest Instagram "stare into the laser" challenge and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Laser levels are class IIIA lasers and are considered safe for unintentional exposure. Just don't do the latest Instagram "stare into the laser" challenge and you should be fine.
    The limited intensity, the fact that the light is visible, and the natural blink reflex (aversion response) that will keep you from staring into the beam all make a common consumer red (or green) laser safe to use.

This is NOT true for other types of lasers such as CO2 with light in the invisible infrared end of the spectrum. There are people who worked in laser labs who have permanent scars on a retina from where a tool moved or dropped through the beam - just a momentary reflection for a fraction of a second can damage the vision for the rest of your days. The invisible light and high power create a real hazard. I understand some laser engravers also use CO2 lasers.

Instagram "stare into beam" challenge? Difficult for me to believe this is a thing. Do these people go out and stare at the sun too?

David I would just stick with your normal prescription....

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The limited intensity, the fact that the light is visible, and the natural blink reflex (aversion response) that will keep you from staring into the beam all make a common consumer red (or green) laser safe to use.

This is NOT true for other types of lasers such as CO2 with light in the invisible infrared end of the spectrum. There are people who worked in laser labs who have permanent scars on a retina from where a tool moved or dropped through the beam - just a momentary reflection for a fraction of a second can damage the vision for the rest of your days. The invisible light and high power create a real hazard. I understand some laser engravers also use CO2 lasers.

Instagram "stare into beam" challenge? Difficult for me to believe this is a thing. Do these people go out and stare at the sun too?
    My "challenge" was a joke, I hope. My point was that the OP doesn't need to worry about anything unless they purposefully do something stupid to create a hazard.