Thread: What Type of Wood Is Used In This Project

What Type of Wood Is Used In This Project

I want to make a very similar project, and my mother has asked for walnut for the shelves.
    This size of solid wood could get expensive, so this pic has me wondering what did they use for the shelves?
    I can see possibly a veneer for the top, but the edges have me guessing.

Any help?
    pic.jpg

In your pic, the top and bottom of each shelf is probably veneer. The edges, too, are likely veneer. You could use iron-on veneer tape.

Me, I'd use solid lumber for the shelves. It would make the curved edge easy.

Agree with Jamie. That one is most likely veneer. I wouldn't spend the time/effort on veneering the shelves and edges on something like that unless it needed to be an exotic, expensive veneer. Walnut is not that costly!

Jim

Thanks for the replies. You easily talked me out of veneer, as I've struggled to get good edges with some practice pieces.

Solid walnut it is.

Solid walnut is quite reasonable for such a small amount; they used plywood. The joint between the leg and shelf could actually look like a joint if the leg had a small rebate for the shelf, also making the support stronger. An acute triangle for each leg with the sharp end inwards, recessed for the shelf would be cool. A wedged dowel through the leg into the shelf would secure the joint. The lateral rigidity of such a structure would be far better.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I agree with William on the joinery, assuming it gets a screw in each of the lower shelf joints and a dowel in each of the top shelf joints, plus glue.

The shelves may get wet from plants or beverages. Use polyurethane on those top surfaces. Two coats of paint on the legs.

Make a two shelf mock up from scrap to get the details right.

This is for your mother, This is no time to save money. If I had a chance to build something for mine I'd gold plate it.

How about Zebra wood?