Thread: Help identifying / explaining a hinge?

Help identifying / explaining a hinge?

I've never run across one - my daughter is refinishing an old cabinet that has these hinges on the bottom doors. Anyone know anything about these? Thanks in advance,IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg
    You can fix stupid, but there are often legal ramifications

Blog Entries
    Those look like 'primative' hinges that were shop made in the 18th & 19th century.

How old is the cabinet?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Those look like 'primative' hinges that were shop made in the 18th & 19th century.

How old is the cabinet?

jtk
    No idea, she bought it for $50 at a yard sale. She says she's found no markings of any kind on it anywhere.
    You can fix stupid, but there are often legal ramifications

Staple Hinge? Start out looking like two cotter pins hooked together....shorter one just gets driven in, the longer one goes through a hole, and is clinched tightly in place.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Grandpa always used to say, "don't waste a couple of good cotter pins when bailing wire will do."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I’m assuming the cabinet door is open in both pics. Can you add a picture of the door closed? Very interesting. Never seen one before

Was seen on the Woodwright's Shop...Peter Fallensee I think was the name? Something about a chest of some sort...

Blog Entries
    After looking at the images again it looks like there are saw marks from a circular saw.

It could have been made during the the twentieth century by someone who didn't have the means to provide factory made hinges.

jtk

And..just when did the Shakers invent that circular saw?

I think ( since I can't walk right now..) I might spend the day looking through a few episodes of The Woodwright's Shop....and see which episode that type of hinge was demonstrated ......can't get to my own shop ( stairs are a no-no) might as well go surfing others...

I suppose one could fabricate those hinges out of a roll of Form Wire.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    And..just when did the Shakers invent that circular saw?
    Circular saw was invented toward the end of the 18th century.

Blog Entries
    Some evidence of circular saw blades have dated to the bronze age. The technology may have been lost in time.

As Chris mentions in the modern ERA circular saw blades began being used at the end of the 18th century.

As to the Shaker influence:

The use of a large circular saw in a saw mill is said to have been invented in 1813 by Tabitha Babbitt, a Shaker inventor, after she noted the inefficiency of the traditional saw pits used by the sawyers in her community and sought an improvement.[8] This claim is now mostly discredited.[9][10]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_saw

jtk

Looks like it uses snipe bill hinges.

https://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/tag/snipebill-hinges/

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Looks like it uses snipe bill hinges.

https://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/tag/snipebill-hinges/
    What a great education! Excellent.

I have a 17th Century chest that was repaired with hinges similar to that, after the second pair of hinges corroded away-probably a sea chest. An Expert told me that it had been repaired by a Ship's Cooper, using coopers nails. I think it was originally a "make-do" set of hinges. They would have probably used better, if they had better.

They are also called “snipe” and “staple” hinges. They never need oiling !