Thread: Burl near Seattle

Burl near Seattle

Hello, Are there any reasonable places to buy native Burls for turning in the Seattle area.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Hello, Are there any reasonable places to buy native Burls for turning in the Seattle area.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Reasonable for who? LOL I've never seen cheap burls, they just grow on trees, but it's the rarity that drives the price.

I'd look to the source- loggers and arborists- for inexpensive burls. Burls that have been acquired and processed by a middleman can get expensive fast, plus they can degrade in storage like any large turning blank.

Sea-Tac Craigslist is full of local local lumber. You might see local burls on it.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Call Steve Bartocci, The BoardHoarder, in Kirkland. His prices are very reasonable. Gotta call for an appointment!

Inventory - The Board Hoarder

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Just had a tree in Edmonds taken down by Davey Tree(large national co.) and the crew is aware of interest in burls and saves them. I'd give any of the tree service Co.'s a call ask.
    I am on their list for interesting wood-I have two monkey puzzle(pod??) logs from them" Good luck.