Thread: how to stiffen those Sheet metal machinery stands,

how to stiffen those Sheet metal machinery stands,

I have several of those sheet metal stands like Sears sold with their radial arm saws. They have 4 flimsy sheet metal legs and the darn things flex and wobble terribly. I have cut some 1x6's and bolted them across the legs, about a foot above the floor and added a shelf and that does stabilize them, but it is a lot of work. There must be a simpler way. I have limited space and need to move some machines around to conserve space. For the router table and the table saw, they make so much dust, that I try to move them out doors to use them. Negotiating that little hump at the threshold can get scary if the stands are not rigid.

I had a Woodpeckers router table, with stand, and a Supermax 19-38 drum sander, both had metal stands.

Neither worked that well and did not utilize the wasted space beneath the tool.

I built simple cabinets, on casters, that allow me to move the tools where needed and also provided some nice storage.

Before

After

For getting up and down a small step/lip, make a small wedge ramp out of a 2x4 and use 4" casters.

My 80's vintage RAS is on the original metal base, I attached it to a piece of 3/4" plywood with good quality casters beneath. I find it solid as a rock, not flimsy at all and easy to move.

The key to structural strength is triangulation. A bicycle frame is a great reference. Not a single square or rectangle anywhere. So anyway to install cross bracing will add greatly to strength. I'd consider adding rigid conduit with smashed ends bolted to the legs.

Add a diagonal support might help. Even just a turnbuckle to apply a certain amount of tension will stiffen things dramatically.

I think what happened is these machine stands were designed to be used with heavier gauge steel, and I guess the manufacturer, in order to cut cost, made them a LOT thinner without changing its design to suit. So what you get is very flimsy stands.

That and the design is meant to be welded, but these are not welded, just bolted together.
    Typhoon Guitars

I am with Doug. I have a few tools like that, and I bolt the legs to a sheet of plywood, and then put whatever type casters I need on them.

A plus for this is that for many tools this eliminates fooling with a mobile base. Heavy tools now get 4X4's and a pallet jack.

I'm gradually eliminating most of my metal mobile bases.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I built simple cabinets, on casters, that allow me to move the tools where needed and also provided some nice storage.
    That is also what I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you fill the openings with any sort of sheet good, the stand will become inflexible. Plus, you'll gain a little storage space.

I made an ugly but useful cabinet to put my 19-38 sander on, and left the stand in the loft for 3 years, after which I sold it for the princely sum of $20. I only used it for a week or two, back when I first got the sander. The buyer seemed happy with it.