Thread: Now this is a saw blade

Blog Entries

Now this is a saw blade

We were in Redcrest, CA today and saw this saw blade.
    20210826_130804.jpg
    This blade was 60+ inches across with replaceable teeth. It is a ripping blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I guess these are for sawmills. I think sawmill blades are quite expensive and so they are often sharpened or whatever and not simply thrown out when dull. If they have replaceable inserts I wonder what the kerf on one of these are.. There are insert milling machine tooling out there anyways where the insert can be replaced.
    Typhoon Guitars

For the size of the blade the 2 pin holes that drive the blade at the arbor hole seem kid of small. I might be missing something though.

Well, it is a 60" blade, so it looks like the arbor is probably good 2 or 3 inches in diameter. I mean that's pretty massive if you think about it, and with the two hole for positive drive, I think it's enough.
    Typhoon Guitars

The two pins may have been effectively shear pins to protect the blade (body) and shaft from damage in case of a mishap. If the shaft snaps, that blade becomes a wheel that's gonna crash/roll through hell and high water 'till it comes to rest, somewhere of it's own choosing.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

or some reason I could not find any pictures of the bandsaw blades at the Scotia, Ca mill. So here is a baby cousin.
    Bill D.

https://www.core77.com/posts/52945/H...-Bandsaw-Blade

The pulp mill I used to work at had a similar blade. The two holes are for shear pins as mentioned above. The inserts fit into a sort of sliding dovetail and then there were two rivets that held it in. Sometimes a tooth would come loose and go flying. We tightened the blade on the arbor with about a 4 foot wrench.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Would hate to have to clean the pitch off that sucker....
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    My grandad and dad had a sawmill when I was growing up. This is the kind of blade that was used. I took it for granted when I was a kid but that is quite a menacing saw!
    They do have inserts and we would also sharpen them in place.

"Would hate to have to clean the pitch off that sucker.."
    On a "00 Frick" sawmill that my father had with a 52" blade... Never had to remove pitch from it and he cut tens of thousands board feet on it...pine & hemlock

Removed teeth to sharpen them and occasionally he had the blade "hammered" so it would not wobble when up to speed...

Learned when I was 12 years old and "off bearing" (removing board or slab after it was cut off of log) that you do not wear gloves when doing it...

Shear pins does make sense. It would save alot of teeth from damage in case the blade hit something hard.