Thread: Wenge Wood Spider

Wenge Wood Spider

Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 08-26-2021 at 8:19 PM. Reason: the little one is mahogany

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    Nice! What sizes are these?

My Lovely Bride would cast daggers your way if I got any ideas from this...

JKJ

whats your deal with wenge wood? On another thread you kinda knocked it .... this spider was done maybe 4/5 yrs ago and I do remember shavings being like little tooth picks sticking to me but other than that the wood seemed okay to work with.

I don't know that I ever measured the size of the spider. maybe 24/30"dia.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    whats your deal with wenge wood? On another thread you kinda knocked it ....
    I've tried, really tried to like wenge since I had a good supply. I just can't, especially with lots of other species on the shelves (like rosewoods, ebonies, dogwood, bloodwood, etc), species I really enjoy turning!

I'll show my wife your picture of the spider on the wall. I'll let you know what she says. I'm pretty sure our 51 years of marriage wouldn't make it to 52 if I brought any spider art into the house!

JKJ

Okay, fair enough. Nice to have a selection to choose from and pick favorites. I'm getting my dimensional stuff from /suwanee lumber now. We had a really good source of exotic woods about 6 miles up the road from here but they went out of business a couple yrs ago....

yeah, spiders are intimidating for a lot of people, they startle more people than I would have thought.

C883502B-DFB6-40CB-A007-111C2ED0204F_1_201_a.jpg

My wife, on the other hand, took one look and announced that she wants one (or more) ! Are the legs fixed or do they have moveable joints?

"I do remember shavings being like little tooth picks sticking to me but other than that the wood seemed okay to work with."

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

I like your spiders, though the big one seems rather menacing. Shelob lives!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    My wife, on the other hand, took one look and announced that she wants one (or more) ! Are the legs fixed or do they have moveable joints?
    nothing moves.

Can't imagine making those. Outstanding job. Love them!

These aren't that big of a deal to make Dave. I was very new to wood turning when making these, ( I've watched a lot of Captain Eddie videos ).I used a sq type carbide bit for the longest time and a Jet 1220vs.

973D1161-F8B6-41C2-9177-047BEDF723C7_1_201_a.jpg