Thread: How Do I Shorten This Rolling Shelf?

How Do I Shorten This Rolling Shelf?

Well, the wife says it takes up too much space, so I have to either cut it down in length or replace it with something shorter. Is it worth it to cut down and if so, then how? I will replace the top with wood and figure out how mount it. And sorry for the spelling error in the title...

Tough row to hoe given the design of the shelf at the bottom that holds it all together. Would be useful in your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tough row to hoe given the design of the shelf at the bottom that holds it all together. Would be useful in your shop.
    Ya, if I had the room. Can the wire shelving be welded with a normal MIG welder? Looks like there aren't many spot welds holding it together on the ends. I was hoping some one had already needed to do this. I can't be the first, can I?

I would cut a few inches out of the middle then deck it with plywood screwed, clamped, sandwiched over the wire.
    Bill D.

PS Search "metro rack"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Ya, if I had the room. Can the wire shelving be welded with a normal MIG welder? Looks like there aren't many spot welds holding it together on the ends. I was hoping some one had already needed to do this. I can't be the first, can I?
    Is the shelf chrome plated steel, or stainless steel? If stainless it can be welded then ground, sanded, and polished back to the same finish. If it's chrome, then it'll have to be ground and then welded. No way to bring the chrome back. So you have the option to have it sandblasted and rechromed, or powder coated, or spray painted. That's a pretty common design these days, maybe somebody sells a shorter shelf.

Repurpose it as an outdoor potting bench?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It's likely mild steel that's chromed, so it looks like I'll have to get down to the steel, weld, then I'll just paint over th welded area. No big deal, cuz it's going to be used as a covered BBQ table/shelf.

Years ago I bought shelves and posts like that to make shelving units. I don’t remember the name of the seller - somebody I found on the web. They had many lengths and widths of shelf, different post heights, optional casters, and such. I wouldn’t be surprised you can google around, and find a smaller shelf for your unit.

Those chrome metro shelves rust like crazy, outdoors.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Those chrome metro shelves rust like crazy, outdoors.

Erik
    This is a BBQ shelf that holds dirty, greasy, ashy stuff, so I don't really care about the rust. Jamie, I'll check it out, but if I can cut these down myself, I'll be saving the cost of new shelves.

My oldest son worked at a fast food taco place in his youth. They replaced the shelving in their cooler—we got about 6 of the 6’ tall stainless units, could have gotten another 6 or 8–wish we had! He has 4, I have 2…they are awesome.
    earl

Cut and weld in some angle iron as a splicer.
    Bill D.

Jamie, thanks. My shelving is heavy duty and uses 1 1/2" posts, I think, anyways the 1" post shelves are too small. That said, it's a great resource that I have saved for future needs.

Well, I did it. I shortened it from a 48", down to about 32". Turned out it was easier than I thought it would be, but still picky-poky work. The MIG welder worked very well as you all predicted it would. Now all I have left to do is to build a wood top for it. Thanks for all the help. It will make a perfect BBQ table.