Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses for planer/jointer chips.....

Uses for planer/jointer chips.....

It might seems strange to ask this question in the 'Off Topic Forum' but I see the uses for chips as off topic.

I am wondering what other do with the perhaps bags or bins full of wood chips. It doesn't take much milling of lumber to create a fair volume of chips. I have struggled to find a good use for them, but this year I have been using them as mulch around my tomato plants. Putting mulch down helps prevent bacteria and viruses from getting onto the plants, so lots of maple and other hardwood chips have been going down around my plants.

Other uses?

I try not to get other items like mdf or particle board mixed into my actual wood chips. Not always possible of course but I mostly am successful.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

not that simple for the garden, Ask Daryl and his other brother Daryl about the Fu.

some shavings will not be good in a garden.

Horse bedding for some woods.

I use it to start the woodstove.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I use it to start the woodstove.
    Likewise..

Walnut gets thrown away or burned in my fire pit.

I try to compost the rest. It’s a great source of carbon as a compliment to nitrogen rich kitchen scraps.

I drop off suitable chips here:

https://www.aark.org

They use them for bedding. I work with mostly domestics so no real concerns about toxicity. If I am planing walnut I empty or change the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I drop off suitable chips here:

https://www.aark.org

They use them for bedding. I work with mostly domestics so no real concerns about toxicity. If I am planing walnut I empty or change the bag.
    Did you also carve their sign?
    I have a good amount of property, at least for my area, I throw my barrel on the quad and drive it to the back of the yard just into the woods and dump it. It would be nice if there were better uses for it. I do however use alot of walnut.

Like Prashant, I compost mine…..Regards, Rod

I use for mulch, or muddy spots in the lawn. Sometimes I will use chips and sawdust to soak up spills, or to solidify paint in cans that I want to get rid of.
    < insert spurious quote here >

make coffee table tops out them with liquid acrylic resin...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    make coffee table tops out them with liquid acrylic resin...
    Sounds like DIY particle board.

Might work if we were talking about the output from a wood chipper...never mind, now I'm having a 'Fargo' flashback.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Use them to scrub off paint after the paint remover has soaked for a while. Saw that one on a PBS furniture refinishing show/series.
    Throw them all over the floor before painting as a dropcloth.
    Bill D

I use shavings to start the woodstove. I use a small pile of shavings from the planer in the middle. Then I put a couple long ones from a handplane on each end of the pile. Put a match to each end and it all lights right up and gets the twigs on top of going quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Did you also carve their sign?
    I have a good amount of property, at least for my area, I throw my barrel on the quad and drive it to the back of the yard just into the woods and dump it. It would be nice if there were better uses for it. I do however use alot of walnut.
    Mine mulches spots in our woods. I think we have about 15 acres of "wild" woods, plenty of space to spread them out.

Planer chips from poplar and pine I usually throw into the peacock cages. Bales of compressed pine chips are sold for this at the farm stores.
    I've read many warnings against using walnut for livestock, especially horses.
    https://www.savvyhorsewoman.com/2016...poisonous.html

I'm entering a new world relative to dust/chip disposal here at our new property because I can no longer just dump in in a big pile on the property. (same goes for tree/plant clippings) It has to go in the trash. Since I work enough with black walnut and non-solid wood products, it can't really be used for flower beds after composting nor for animal bedding. This is one small disadvantage of downsizing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    There are machines that take wood chips and extrude pellets for use in stoves and such.