Thread: Fixing Woodbridge Planer

Fixing Woodbridge Planer

I have a 15" Woodbridge planer aka Auto-Feed Precision Planer. It was working fine until it wasn't. When I hit the start button it just hums like what you might expect during aa brown-out. I have checked and I have found no obstructions but noting is turning. Any help would be most appreciated.

Ed (the unkowing one)

Check capacitors. Remove belts and make sure everything is spinning as it should - bearing check.

+1 on capacitor.

Check for bulges if you don't have a tester.

Should be an easy fix.

MK

replace all capacitors
    then if not running right check for other issues
    good luck
    Ron

If it's not the start cap it could be dust in the centrifugal start switch. If it's not a totally enclosed motor, you can usually blow out the area of the switch with compressed air. It's at the end of the motor opposite the shaft.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Is this ac or ac/dc motor?
    Bill D

This is my first time here. It is impressive how much help you have afforded a newby. Thank you all very much. I will pull the motor and check out the possible solutions you have suggested. Incidently, any thoughts about installing a Shelix cutter head once I get the planer running?

Cost/benefit of a helical head is up to you.

Not sure how your planer is made. Capacitors are normally accessible under small covers screwed to motor. You just have to unscrew the covers to check them. May not need to pull motor. Consider removing belts and trying to start to confirm problem is with motor/electrical system.

Before you take the planer apart make sure there is no reset button. If you have an owners manual, read that part. My Grizzly 15" will overheat if you try to run a load of lumber through it, and will shut down. Have to wait for it to cool, and press the reset button.

First and easiest step is to pull the plug and use a meter to verify you have correct voltage at the outlet. Either 120 0r 240. If good plug it in and verify voltage to the in terminals on the switch input terminals.
    Bill D