Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new slider - requesting feedback on rip capacity

well this is exactly the dilemma. resale has crossed my mind, but i'm buying it to use, not to sell in the future. it's a tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Devil's Advocate question: If you went with the narrow rip capacity, do you think you would ever reach moment where you might regret that decision? I understand it isn't necessary from a practical standpoint but would it be like bringing in 100A or power into a new shop rather than 200A? You might only need 100A now, but are you future-proofing yourself? For example, if you ever decide to sell this saw, most US shops wouldn't give any consideration to a saw that size with a narrow rip? Just food for thought.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    well this is exactly the dilemma. resale has crossed my mind, but i'm buying it to use, not to sell in the future. it's a tough call.
    Out of curiosity, what is their cost difference between narrow vs standard rip?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

effectively insignificant relative to the price of the machine - a couple of grand, max.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is their cost difference between narrow vs standard rip?

Erik

effectively insignificant relative to the price of the machine - a couple of grand, max.
    Well, LOL... In that case, I would find the room but it's your shop.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If you are trying to save space. can you run one machine into another? my first shop was a postage stamp and stuff ran into the next machine which was support. My slider bar will go down the side of the radial, fence that far can rip 53" or more, in that case the saw fence is on the radial table. Takes a bit of mcgiver in any cases but since I started that way its still in my thought pattern.

just to close the loop on this... the "next step up" after the minimum of 33" of rip capacity is 44". perhaps that's the wiser choice. i still save a little floor space, but also lower the range of sizes i cannot crosscut. tricky decision, but maybe that's a safer compromise.

just to close the loop on this... the "next step up" after the minimum of 33" of rip capacity is 44". perhaps that's the wiser choice. i still save a little floor space, but also lower the range of sizes i cannot crosscut. tricky decision, but maybe that's a safer compromise.
    That is a nice compromise, will it be going against a wall? I only ask because I was going to go with a 33” but the only place it works for me is against a wall, having the wider rip actually made more since to me (in my case) because with the limited wall space in my small shop the 33” wouldn’t really allow other equipment/workbench a bandsaw perhaps against the wall…I could see regretting getting the 33” but if you don’t have the space you don’t have it…
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 08-28-2021 at 11:01 PM.

David, that's about what I effectively had with the S315WWS slider I had in my old shop, taking into account a stairway that interfere with material to the right. It didn't come into play that much so if your space is comfortable with the ~44", I agree it's a good compromise between the narrower and wider options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks guys, i think that's what i'll do. the saw is not next to a wall, it's next to my jointer. one day i'll post a picture of the configuration of that part of the shop. the main issue is that i have a lumber lift through the ceiling to the second floor, and i have to extend the slider all the way forward in order to lower/raise the lift. even a few more inches of clearance with the new slider will be helpful.

thanks for everyone's feedback.

--- dz

When I ordered my slider in 2009 I was working in a 3 car garage and narrow rip was the only way I could fit the slider in. I assumed that one day when I moved to a bigger shop I'd add the longer fence rail and a wider table. I moved to the new much bigger space and I did not even think about getting costs for the parts to make it wider. I just rarely use the saw to rip. I can easily get the fence out of the way when using the slider to cut bigger parts and do this frequently. If ordering new and with the huge shop I'd get a wide rip but the 32" rip has not really been an issue. I do however use the parallel guides to rip whenever possible. I love the slider for ripping.

joe, this is helpful. the only situation i see having issues with is when i'm trying to crosscut a wide part to ~48" wide. the support post is ~33" forward of the center of the blade. so, if i want to crosscut a relatively narrow "rip," i'm fine, it'll land behind the post. if i want to crosscut a 40" wide rip, i can't do it, as it'll contact the support post. now, i think that practically speaking, it's a non-issue. most of my material is cut on the CNC, and the vast majority of rips are obviously far, far narrower than 33"... and, i own two track saws. so, yeah, my gut feel is to regain the floor space and live with the 33" rip capacity. but then, as stated, i think about resale... i know for sure i won't get a unit with the same 56" rip i have on my current slider, but i also don't want to regret going with 33". not a trivial decision on such an expensive saw.

all that said, your feedback is helpful, thanks.

--- dz

I like using the fence as a bump stop so for me the longer fence rails are useful for more than ripping. Removing the fence on my saw requires sliding it off the rail end- as that is against the wall it's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I like using the fence as a bump stop so for me the longer fence rails are useful for more than ripping. Removing the fence on my saw requires sliding it off the rail end- as that is against the wall it's not happening.

oh me too. i use the fence as a bump stop for crosscutting. so for narrower parts (sub 30" or so), i'm fine, they will land behind the post. is that good enough? again, tough one. i am still leaning towards splitting the difference, and going with the 44".

I have a crosscut setup with a large old Dewalt RAS and a digital fence so I rarely crosscut on the slider. Only sheet goods really. Also because of the narrow rip I do not have the overarm guard setup, mine uses the riving knife to hold the guard.

joe, this is helpful. the only situation i see having issues with is when i'm trying to crosscut a wide part to ~48" wide. the support post is ~33" forward of the center of the blade. so, if i want to crosscut a relatively narrow "rip," i'm fine, it'll land behind the post. if i want to crosscut a 40" wide rip, i can't do it, as it'll contact the support post. now, i think that practically speaking, it's a non-issue. most of my material is cut on the CNC, and the vast majority of rips are obviously far, far narrower than 33"... and, i own two track saws. so, yeah, my gut feel is to regain the floor space and live with the 33" rip capacity. but then, as stated, i think about resale... i know for sure i won't get a unit with the same 56" rip i have on my current slider, but i also don't want to regret going with 33". not a trivial decision on such an expensive saw.

all that said, your feedback is helpful, thanks.

--- dz