Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer for Woodworking?

3D Printer for Woodworking?

I ordered a 3D printer recently for a non-wood project but now I'm thinking about how to use it for woodworking. Jigs, drill guides, tools maybe even some router guides e.g. circles and odd shapes. Some of my wood working projects require plastic vents so I can pretty much make any vent size/style I want now vs the limited selection in the market. Drawer pulls. Drawer trays. Jewelry box drawer liners.

So anyone else currently using a 3D printer for woodworking or thinking about it??

My kids bought me a 3D printer this past Christmas.

I haven't used it much for my hobbyist woodworking, doing as you suggest.

I have a hobbyist CNC on order, that like most of the hobby stuff, has a boar load of customizations that can be made, most not necessary, but nice to have.

For this, my printer has been working overtime, making brackets and supports for drag chains, clamp parts, covers, router bit organizers, etc..

Check out https://www.thingiverse.com it's a great place to get a lot of project file.

soon as i get one going to print a Martin Shaper.

interesting question

in the right hands, a 3D printer can generate lots of ideas but when it comes to jigs I'd suggest spending the bucks on things that are easily/cheaply purchased rather than tying up time/electricity/raw materials on something ordinary

so your idea of customized vents strikes me as the right approach for a start
    Howard Rosenberg

I try to spend less than 20 a spool. And according to the interweb it burns a 60 watt lightbulb worth of power. Not 100% on whether the last part is true but my 2 are plugged in at work.As far as printing the ordinary. It depends, sometimes the ordinary can be had for a couple bucks so its not worth the time the machine runs(which should be monitored) Other times ive seen a simple item I could print got for too much.I have printed a ton of cnc accessories, drill bit sorting cups, small parts bins, cordless battery holders, desiccant bead containers for every drawer in the shop, vacuum adapters.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3494496 Im currently printing more of these

Tinkercad.com is a simple free web based program for creating items. Its simple adding/subtracting of shapes

Painters pyramids are thing not worth printing. Take about 8 hours a piece and you can get 4 for $10

I use a 3d printer to make all sorts of woodworking accessories. Here are some designs that I have shared https://www.thingiverse.com/iporty/designs .

It's useful to remember that because of the shrinking of plastic as it cools, it can be difficult to get some shapes super precise.

Some items I've made.
    T-Track clamps
    Shopvac to festool adapters
    Router table to thread cutting adapter
    Paint triangles
    Dust shoe for cnc machine
    Cyclonic dust separator
    Benchdogs

If you don't object to reddit then take a look at the sub r/3dPrintsintheShop. Lots of interesting stuff there.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Router bit organizer check! What are you guys using for CAD Fusion 360 maybe? Here's the printer I have on order it should arrive in a day or so.

i use mine for all sorts of things. Dust Collection fitting adapters, Blade Guards, Replaceable zero clearance backers and a homemade set of parallel guides for my track saw are all things I've made. I'm currently considering printing some knuckle clamps similar to the one's Woodpecker offers.

I use Fusion 360, the free version.
    Last edited by Lisa Starr; 08-24-2021 at 7:40 PM. Reason: added note about Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    i use mine for all sorts of things. Dust Collection fitting adapters, Blade Guards, Replaceable zero clearance backers and a homemade set of parallel guides for my track saw are all things I've made. I'm currently considering printing some knuckle clamps similar to the one's Woodpecker offers.

Never considered one until you mentioned dust collection!! Other than the rocker pieces, I don’t think I have any two pieces that fit together. Always have two the same OD…useless for a friction fit.
    earl

I reversed engineered the stock non ZCI inserts on my saw to make a ZCI, did several iterations with a 3d printed for fit an finish then used the 3d printed ones for a month or so while the aluminum ones were made. Have also made templates, dust fittings, insert for bandsaw… have no plans to use 3d printed parts in any furniture…

DF196E93-CEF1-4630-8332-21AC7FD70F4F.jpg430A1627-F7CC-4EEC-A8C0-3F8EEF7ECA86.jpgFC7C6635-9BE6-4510-9EAA-5BEA256AE8E7.jpgA3BC80B9-2927-4828-9979-3B7AC2200A99.jpgF87DF524-AB75-4A0A-A0B1-8A63B6C4A899.jpg54D13831-F39E-4FC8-9B5E-158D29702A3C.jpg 7E8983EA-79A0-4657-B97A-02E1A338C595.jpg
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 08-24-2021 at 10:53 PM.

Yes, Fusion 360.

That looks like and incredible printer, many people build an enclosure to keep the heat in and the enclosure at a set temperature which is required for certain printable materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post

Dust collection is one of my target projects. My overarm/over blade dust collector when making certain cuts spews sawdust everywhere. Trimming off a paper thin edge for example. AND even though my shop vac has like 20 adapters it always seems there's some crevice I can't reach so crevice tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That looks like and incredible printer, many people build an enclosure to keep the heat in and the enclosure at a set temperature which is required for certain printable materials.
    That's a whole story. I started researching $1k printers and soon I was in the $4k range based on my needs. While some people love their $4k printer I found a LOT of horror stories by people who purchased the same printer but received a lemon. So ended up stepping up further to a production printer. Some companies have farms of these printers churning out parts.

Dual print heads was key since I'll need support filament for some parts and a combination of hard filament with rubber urethane filament for other parts. Handle with a rubberized grip for example. It comes with a heated enclosure and heated bed to minimize warping etc. and for more difficult filaments like carbon fiber 15 and glass fiber filament they offer a hardened steel hot end.

This printer can't do everything though, it can't do PEEK or the 400 degree filaments. But a machine for that was up there like $10k.
    Last edited by Charles Coolidge; 08-24-2021 at 9:44 PM.