Thread: Latest finds-not too bad

Cool Latest finds-not too bad

Block on ebay for $8. All I had to do was sharpen. (#6 was my dad's)

20210821_151939.jpg

This look good but everything, even the screw is severely pitted. This is before and looked good in the pic...

20210819_143134.jpg

This is the after:

20210821_151826.jpg

You can see how I got tripped up. I'm big on looks but after the overhaul, cuts like a razor. Tote isn't done yet.

FB Marketplace a few days later:

20210821_151319.jpg

Went and grabbed them before the guy changed his mind! The orange has most of the japanning and I'm working on it now, it's looking really good so far. (now that I got smart and got a wire wheel for the bench grinder instead of suicide by drill mounted brush!)

10$ Handyman, how can you pass that up? This is after overhaul. Find at local antique mall.

20210819_143239.jpg

Pretty good for a newbie?

I'm enjoying this thoroughly... much, much easier to find than the antique radios that I restore. I'm not into "the chase" but this is kinder and gentler than radios, and I can restore in 1-2 nights with no added $$$. And they'll all shave an arm. <g>

Rich

My first used plane was a #4 handyman with a broken handle.

Once I got it sharpened and tuned it cut really well.

I am impressed, very nice.... especially if they work well after you sharpened them up.

Blog Entries
    Good job Richard. Much of my plane knowledge came from restoring rust buckets and junk finds.

You may find some helpful information in the Neanderthal wisdom FAQs > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805

At one time a lot of my time was spent restoring old tools to sell. It helped raise money to buy a few new tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)