Thread: Need a Table Saw Blade for Melamine and Plywood

Need a Table Saw Blade for Melamine and Plywood

Hey guys so I have a Sawstop 3hp PCS. Currently for plywood/melamine I run a fairly cheap 80 tooth Freud/Diablo blade. I have a chance to sell it to a friend and upgrade, even though it's been great so far to be honest.

I was looking at 2 different CMT blades and was hoping to get some advice.

https://taytools.com/collections/sup...erf-283-680-10

https://taytools.com/collections/sup...erf-281-681-10

Seems like one is perfect for plywoods and pretty good for melamine and the other is the reverse (the Triple Chip Grind). I was hoping to just have one blade for both, but maybe that isn't an option. I'm also open to Ridge Carbide or other recommendations if you think there's one blade that really shines at all of these tasks.

Side question, I've currently been using the Sawstop 40 tooth blade that came with the saw for all of my general cuts, not rips or fine finish. Is this blade worth sharpening when it gets dull or should I ditch it for a Ridge/CMT/Forrest?

Thanks!

A high angle ATB blade like the Forrest Duraline Hi-AT will work on both materials with minimal chipout on the bottom of the cut, but will dull quickly on melamine. The first blade you reference should work. A triple chip will last a long time in melamine but I have not seen as good results from the ones I have used.

I use a TCG for melamine and an ATB for plywood, my saw however has scoring…..Regards Rod.

The Freud LU80R010 Ultimate Plywood and Melamine Blade works well for me. I use a fresh ZCI when cutting melamine and with stuff that's exceptionally chip prone like the prefinished plywood cabinet I recently cut down I tape the bottom surface before cutting. The LU80R010 is a Hi-ATB blade.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I use a TCG for melamine and an ATB for plywood, my saw however has scoring…..Regards Rod.

When sawing melamine, I use the double cut method. First cut is about 1/8" deep, then raise blade to full depth needed and cut again. I have two dedicated melamine blades. One is a ATB, and other is a TCG. One cuts as well as the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    A high angle ATB blade like the Forrest Duraline Hi-AT will work on both materials with minimal chipout on the bottom of the cut, but will dull quickly on melamine. The first blade you reference should work. A triple chip will last a long time in melamine but I have not seen as good results from the ones I have used.
    Great, thanks for the feedback. So it sounds like I should get the dedicated TCG blade just for melamine.

"So it sounds like I should get the dedicated TCG blade just for melamine

If you want the best results both sides get the high bevel ATB and plan on having it sharpened frequently. You can cut 10 or 12 sheets before the cut quality degrades significantly. If you don't need a clean bottom cut the triple chip will give more mileage. If you plan on cutting a lot of melamine you are in the market for a scoring saw.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 08-25-2021 at 11:40 AM.

The forest ply/veneer blade is excellent for that sport of thing. The ridge Carbide does a decent job for a combo blade. Can't speak in the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    "So it sounds like I should get the dedicated TCG blade just for melamine

If you plan on cutting a lot of melamine you are in the market for a scoring saw.
    Go back and read my post about double cutting panels

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Go back and read my post about double cutting panels
    I did. That's fine for occasional use. For routine cutting I would find it tedious and uneconomical.

Thanks for all the help guys. Yea I don't think I want to score every single cut since for a closet job there are probably 100 cuts, but I definitely might give it a shot and see if I mind it. Should the scoring cut be about 1/8" tall or what should I shoot for? Otherwise I'll go with the Hi ATB blade and just get it sharpened between customers. My Diablo which is nowhere near as good as the ones I'm looking to buy did a whole closet of melamine with very minimal chip out and still cuts plywood like butter. So I'm guessing the Ridge or CMT would be even better. I just can't justify spending double on the Forrest. I know they're good but can they really be twice as good as Ridge or CMT?

I had a high ATB made by CMT. It performed about as well as the Forrest.

A 4x8 sheet of 3/4" melamine weighs about 90 lbs. Who wants to push it through a saw twice when once will do? Maybe I just think that way because I am old and weak, but then maybe that's how I got that way.