Thread: Large Cookie

Large Cookie

I am about to acquire a large maple "cookie," about 4 feet in diameter. There is some rot in the middle which should make a neat design feature but my question lies in preservation/drying. I'd like to keep this 6-8" thick or so. I live in CO so humidity is very low. Should I paint the ends, or seal with something else to help avoid cracking while it dries? The plan is to make a table out of it at some point after it is dried out.

Thanks,
    Shad
    Last edited by Shad Schreiner; 08-23-2021 at 7:44 PM.

Cookies almost always split radially as the wood dries.

I agree with Jamie with the possible exception of the word "almost". Plan on it cracking and make it a feature, stabilize it with butterfly keys and maybe fill the crack with epoxy.

Fair enough, thanks!

I was successful in drying a 16" diameter x 2" thick slice of oak without cracks using repeated applications of Pentacryl and keeping the piece in an unheated closed area until stabilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I was successful in drying a 16" diameter x 2" thick slice of oak without cracks using repeated applications of Pentacryl and keeping the piece in an unheated closed area until stabilized.
    Hurry and buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Hurry and buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out.
    Well, maybe I should. Have you, or anyone else here, tried Pentacryl in a similar application? I only did it once.