Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum Sander upgrade

thanks Mel you got in while I was typing.

There were a lot of good people that did great work on this site that have vapourized in the last years. Usually I heard I dont need the grief or nonsense.

Really miss the old guys I knew, be nice if they could return for a day here or there.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 08-24-2021 at 1:57 PM.

Thanks, Warren. Some things are intuitive, but I don’t think the imbedded grit is one of them. I still remember thinking it was a nutty
    precaution ! But my early bosses gave decrees….not suggestions.

I have had to hand plane wood after hand sanding, and plane iron dulled instantly. I use a drum sander now, and then cut panels to size on table saw. Sometimes I use a handplane to trim an edge, and really dont notice any dulling. I think that drum sander paper is a lot tougher than sanding sheets intended for hand sanding, and does not lose as much grit on the wood. I also dont think that embedded grit affects carbide tools as much as a plane iron. Also, realistically, if someone is chiseling dovetails on a drum sanded board the chisel will get dulled a lot faster chopping end grain than by stray grit. Yesterday I sanded a bunch of drawer bottoms to 3/16" with drum sander and trimmed with table saw. A thickness planer really doesnt do that well in such thin material. I have thicknessed drawer bottoms and 1/4" drawer sides with a handplane but really dont feel like doing it anymore. To summarize, sanding grit dulling tools is a real thing, but a thickness sander does such a great job for some of us hobbiest, that we have decided to live with it.

I have a (Made in USA) 37x2 Supermax with 5HP motor. I have 80g/120g paper on it. It's a good machine but it's hard to get rid of sanding marks using ROS so I try to avoid using it unless it's absolutely needed (using sharp edges on a well tuned planer, I go straight to ROS). When I was building a lot of passage doors I used the full width of it to send the doors through after glue-ups to flatten them. Worked very well....

I alway used one grit coarser for the orbital sanding. Then the finish grit orbital . That works pretty fast.

I have been using The ROS on the same grit as the drum sander, and still find it sloooow…I’m going to try Mel’s way and drop back a grit, thanks!

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any mention of the Oscillating Spindle Sander.
    My first drumsander was a Woodmaster 718 with the multi-kit that you could use with saws and planer blades. The bed flexed ... only way that I could come close to getting a even cut across the board was to run down-the-middle ... and everything sniped. Going-back through the set-up-alignment I had the 'sides' set to cut the same within .002 ... when I ran the same piece down-the-middle ... the cutter missed-it completely ... there was a .010 flex from the sides to the middle.
    Searching for a improvement I came across the Jet 22/44 OSS ... the oscillating function leaves a finish pretty-much equivalent to a ROS. I found that I could run pine without loading-up the paper when run in the oscillating mode ... and very soon ... for the last 8 years ... I've been doing just like John TenEyck ... everything is being sized thru the sander. I now mainly use the jointer for edging and the planer (thicknesser) for extensive stock removal. I get better all-round results using the sander with a sled. I've been using 80 grit for stock-removal ... and just ordered some 60 grit to get less dependent on the planer.
    I was skeptical about the open-end drum-overarm ... and it HAS always been a pain to re-set since the parallelism changes when the screws are tightened ... persistence pays-off.

StileSand.jpg

I've been able to gang-sand stiles ... any group of strips ... with hardly a measureable variation ... using 150 grit ... a pass with a ROS with 220 grit before unclamping nets a ready-for-finish surface.
    A few months-ago I looked at the new model and noted that instead of adjusting the overarm the table is now adjusted for alignment when sanding wider than 22" materials ... I 'adapted' that feature with a .010 shim at the 'outboard' side of the table for a recent 28" wide panel ... that worked much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Amazing how many guys here are smarter than trained european cabinetmakers and the sandpaper companies that make the paper you use.

You want to see what you are doing in fast forward because you are convinced it does nothing then run some barn board, its exactly the same thing embedded grit. The barn board will take about 20 minutes to trash your knives.

Go ask a sandpaper supplier and learn what you dont know and refuse to accept.
    I've been woodworking as a hobby since I was a teenager and since I'm only 60 I realize that I'm just a youngster and lack experience. I'm always open to new ideas so when I read this thread I thought I'd re-examine my workflow since, like some others who replied, I hadn't noticed the damage that my drum sander was inflicting on the tooling that followed. I decided to start with a rough-sawn piece of oak and ripped a piece about 4" wide and 5' long. Two passes on each side through the 15" helical head planer had it pretty smooth. I then ran it through my 24" 5HP dual drum sander (50 grit on the front and 80 grit on the rear) to remove the snipe. 2 light passes and it looked pretty good. Here's where it gets interesting - I then took it over to the miter saw to cross cut it and, well, here's a picture of the blade after I was done.

Saw blade ruined.jpg

I guess I never noticed the sparks and flying debris before reading this thread. To get a better understanding of this I put out the fire and took the freshly cut pieces of oak over to my electron microscope.

Electron microscope.jpg

I bought at a yard sale because it was a good deal. It takes up a lot of shop space, but as you'll see it uncovered something amazing. Here's a close up of the wood right after sanding.

Wood close up 1.jpg

As you can see, when magnified to 10x it looks pretty rough, but when you magnify it to 10,000x you get this:

Wood close up.jpg

That's right! Completely embedded with sanding grit! I was shocked that I never noticed this before. I then tried to but an edge on one of the sanded boards (one that wasn't burnt) and here's the bit:

router bit.jpg

At first glance it looks fine, but it started out as a Roman Ogee bit!

I was in shock at the damage done! Just on a fluke I decided to check some of my other tools and look at this:

Screwdriver.jpg

A phillips screwdriver that was just sitting in a drawer is now ruined and a wire brush that was hanging on the wall 25' away now has bent bristles!

Wirebrush.jpg

As one final test I took the last unburnt piece and ran it back through my planer and now this is happening outside my house:

Godzilla.jpg

I am just livid! I tried calling my sandpaper salesman, but remembered that I don't have one. He's probably in on the conspiracy anyway. I don't know what to do now. I thought I was happy with how I did things and was pretty sure I was producing some nice pieces, but now I know I was just fooling myself. All of my tools are ruined and it's all because of that stupid drum sander! I guess my only choice is to give up the hobby or plan a trip to Europe to learn from the old world masters.

Just about spit out my drink.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dilyard View Post
    I've been woodworking as a hobby ... learn from the old world masters.
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Just about spit out my drink.

John
    I can't even see the pictures, but was able to follow your process quite nicely via the narrative. I too, think you should give up. But there is hope ... I'm sure you have a wonderful future as a writer.

And I need a towel for my drink as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have had a 37" Woodmaster for over 15 years. It replaced a Delta open end, which was much lighter duty. No complaints. I also process pieces before assembly now, and have no complaints about the machine.

The only thing I would change is that I wish I had gotten the 25" model, as I found I don't need the width.

It has been trouble free for me, if you can use a closed end type.
    Plus #1 on the Woodmaster sander, I had two 38'' units over the years and a open end sander and the Woodmaster blow them away. Great machines for a drum sander, they are the best one out there in my opion.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dilyard View Post
    I've been woodworking as a hobby since I was a teenager and since I'm only 60 I realize that I'm just a youngster and lack experience. I'm always open to new ideas so when I read this thread I thought I'd re-examine my workflow since, like some others who replied, I hadn't noticed the damage that my drum sander was inflicting on the tooling that followed.

I guess I never noticed the sparks and flying debris before reading this thread. To get a better understanding of this I put out the fire and took the freshly cut pieces of oak over to my electron microscope.

Electron microscope.jpg

As one final test I took the last unburnt piece and ran it back through my planer and now this is happening outside my house:

Godzilla.jpg

I am just livid! I tried calling my sandpaper salesman, but remembered that I don't have one. He's probably in on the conspiracy anyway. I don't know what to do now. I thought I was happy with how I did things and was pretty sure I was producing some nice pieces, but now I know I was just fooling myself. All of my tools are ruined and it's all because of that stupid drum sander! I guess my only choice is to give up the hobby or plan a trip to Europe to learn from the old world masters.
    Very cool E-M. Been looking for one myself the past 3 months (missed out on the Black Friday sales). How much was it?

I have had a number of sanders over the years. Performax. Grizzly dual drum. A little reliant 13” belt that was a beast! A Woodtek belt. A timesaver (too big). Before settling in on one of the 16” open ended belt sanders. Yes you need air but small amounts (some have electronic tracking but might still need air, not sure)

Drum sanders are popular and I used them all a lot. The open ended belt sander takes less space in the shop and is heavier duty all around. It might be worth considering.

Hands down, best post I’ve read here in quite some time! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I've been using a drum sander to prep wood for 15 years. I haven't seen my chisels or hand planes get dull any faster than before. That's fact enough for me.

John
    Same experience. Quite pleased with how the 19-38 works for me and my workflow. It doesn't replace the orbital, but it really helps with glue-ups and other minor dimensioning tasks that a planer would otherwise not do adequately or the work is too delicate for.

To the OP, if you're happy with Lagua I'd stick with that brand since you know the machine and paper is working for you.

@ RonDilyard I salute you!