Thread: Have we been over complicating furniture making?

Have we been over complicating furniture making?

7DCC982B-70CF-47BA-BB15-EE616EEAADA9.jpg
    I don’t know but I’m liking this simpler approach. It’s been a really good hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bryan Cramer; 08-22-2021 at 8:39 PM.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

At one level there is a little bit of pride in having no exposed fasteners on a thing. On the other hand the thing you have built, I am guessing the case with the comb in it will sit on the pictured base someday, will probably last the rest of your life.

If you had bought that in plastic coated particle board from ikea your break even point on materials is maybe ten years, and your break even point on assembly time probably much the same.

In my mind this is a style, just like Chippendale or Louis XXVII. I happen to like it because it is fairly straightforward and quick to build, but also durable. Looks like you used domestic oak, did not pay premium for wide stock, and you grandson will be able to either use it as is or repair it and then use it.

I personally (subjective opinion) am getting away from clear film finishes, but that looks very much like something I would be happy to have built with 20 some teeth on the comb. Your nail heads are neatly spaced in an orderly, workmanlike manner. It is going to last a really long time.

There is a place for folks to make authentic reproductions of say a Federal style drop leaf table or a perfect Hepplewhite chest of drawers. They are pretty, and they are functional, but I don’t have that kind of free time. I would be delighted to have furniture like you built in my home office, not sure my wife would let it into living room.

I think you did good.

Blog Entries
    Cut nails! nice! bet you couldn't pick those up at the man mall...