Thread: Cherry king-size Headboard

Cherry king-size Headboard

My wife is a quilter, so finally we have a homemade head board on our bed to compliment the homemade quilts. Now I need to build matching dressers and night stands. Originally I was planning a matching footboard, but the boss said no footboard. Just another surface to collect dust and it makes making the bed harder too. I didn’t argue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful work...both of you.

Nice looking Joe. And yes, you were wise not bucking management.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Very nice. Are matching dressers planned?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yes, at least in theory. I don’t have specific plans in mind. I based this design off of various mission style pieces. I’d like to do cherry dressers and night stands. Right now I have an MCM bookshelf project in the works that I need to wrap up before starting something else.

Nicely done Joe. I'm discovering that cherry looks great in a mission style piece. Your work only confirms it. (which is a good thing cuz I just stumbled upon a large stash of 8/4 and 12/4 cherry right here in Morocco)

And props to your better half - that is a beautiful quilt.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Impressive work by the both of you.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Very nice. What finish did you use?

I started this project with ambitions for the surface to be completely hand planed. I then pre-finished all the parts, starting with a glossy sheen of oil-based poly uerethane that was cut with mineral spirits wiped on. Followed by a coat of cut satin poly, followed by a coat of full strength, all wiped on. Very light sandings between coats. I do not own any spraying equipment. I then did the dry fit and was not happy with the tool marks that were vissible. So all of the show sides were sanded down, 220 grit. I prefinished the panels starting with cut satin poly. Then assembled the main headboard, then finished the all of the frame components using the same regime.

The original thinking in using the high gloss coat first was to go with a clearer finish on the base coat to enhance the grain. I'm not so sure that was all that successful, so on the refinish, I just stuck with the satin sheen. My wife and I generally perfer a low-gloss finish. I'll likely rub out the finish some, but not with any abbrasives other than an old cotton tee shirt.

Well done Joe! And your wife's quilt is very pretty. How are you joining the side rails to the headboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Well done Joe! And your wife's quilt is very pretty. How are you joining the side rails to the headboard?
    It went together like a puzzle. The top and bottom rails have large tenons that were glued and pinned to the side stiles. The divider stiles were simply pinned to the top and bottom rails. The panels float within the frame and we’re finished on all edges. There is room left to right for movement and top to bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 08-24-2021 at 6:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    really well done Joe – both you and your wife are very talented! I love the well arranged grain pattern of the panels and the Dowels pinning joints together gives it that "handmade craftsman" look.

I don't know anything about quilting but that quilt your wife made is gorgeous! work like that deserves to be framed and hung on the wall.

Cheers, Mike