Thread: X-Carve Pro 44

X-Carve Pro 44

Looking for feedback on this CNC. I have a friend that is about to order one, like most of us this would be his maiden voyage.
    From the specs the unit is all aluminum. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

I think this machine looks interesting and would be fun to play with. The specs say the 4x4 weight is around 300 lbs, so definitely not a toy. I like the fact that it uses a real spindle (2HP air cooled) as opposed to a router motor - this is a big plus. It comes with NEMA 23 stepper motors which may be fine for most lighter duty applications. But at a price of over $10,000 - I would most likely be considering other machines before I was ready to pull the trigger on this one.
    David

Some interesting comments here.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=343940236855891

Agree with David completely. $10,000+? That's a lot for a lightweight machine. A new CAMaster Stinger II starts out at $12+. It weighs 900 lbs uncrated. Huge difference. There are at least a couple for sale that would require getting shipped or going after yourself but you wouldn't regret not buying a better machine. I believe one is listed at $8500. This one is in the Phoenix area.
    https://www.camheads.org/forum/items...sr-44-for-sale

I feel kinda the same way. I think for that budget, I'd go hog wild on an AVID for a 4x4 o4 5x5 footprint. (I happen to own a Stinger II as reference by Ron and while it starts at $12K, the word "starts" is pretty important. LOL )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

300 lbs not much weight for 10g plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I feel kinda the same way. I think for that budget, I'd go hog wild on an AVID for a 4x4 o4 5x5 footprint. (I happen to own a Stinger II as reference by Ron and while it starts at $12K, the word "starts" is pretty important. LOL )

Yes Jim, I was going to mention AVID, but I didn't want to seem "biased". I own several of the AVID machines, and you can get a pretty nice PR0 4848 for a little over 10K with NEMA 34 motors and 4hp spindle.
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 08-23-2021 at 9:35 PM.

Thank you all for great info. AVID seems like a great company, I have been a fan of 80-20 and use their extrusions for various builds.

Robert

Robert, one of the really nice things about the AVID setup, especially for hobbyists and other users, is that they have things arranged so that in many cases you can even start with a more modest setup and expand it later with little problem. You don't have to buy a new machine. Now I still prefer the heavy welded frame structure that my machine has from a rigidity standpoint, but for my actual use and in hindsight, the extensibility that AVID offers could have been more valuable for me as time passes. I love my 4x4, but going to 4x8 without buying a whole new machine would be darn nice.
    --

A feature of the Avid that some people will love & others will hate is that it ships in multiple boxes. You assemble it in place. No need for a rigger or forklift to get it in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    A feature of the Avid that some people will love & others will hate is that it ships in multiple boxes. You assemble it in place. No need for a rigger or forklift to get it in the shop.

This is a big plus in my book! Plus it is fun to put together - but maybe not so much fun for those who may not be "mechanically inclined".
    David

All very good points and I thank you all for your time. This is such a great community and resource.
    Definitely would be fun to assemble the AVID erector set not to mention the expand-ability factor.

Robert

It's also one of the only ways to go if you want a "big" machine in a basement shop. No forklift or rebuilding the house required. LOL

I don't want anyone to think that I do not adore the heavy machine I have...it was a great choice for me when I bought it. But I also try to be realistic about all those situations where something like I have would not work well. A machine like the AVID solves many of them. There's also support for alternative control systems if someone wants more than Mach4 can provide, so they can buy the AVID machine and outfit it with the control system that best meets their desires and needs, too. I've seen some pretty neat modifications and enhancements that folks have done with the machine on the 'Tube...food for thought there for sure.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 08-25-2021 at 8:41 AM.
    --