Thread: Osage Tree?

Osage Tree?

I'm having a few trees taken down next week. While going through the trees that are coming down, the tree guy told me I had three Bodark trees.

Not having heard of these, I looked it up and found out these are also known as Osage Orange trees.

Should I save a few big chunks for possible future turning?

He said it is an extremely hard wood.

Definitely save some for turning. Cut the rest sized for USPS flat rate boxes and ship to me. It is heavy and hard when dry. It will fill your shop with bright yellow dust, and the turning will turn a rich brow in a few years.

Here is a bowl and a darning egg that were turned from the same log about 10 years apart.

Osage orange.jpg

Absolutely save the wood. I use Osage for a number of turnings and utility things, anywhere I need strong wood. I like to cut into blanks and dry. Like any wood, it's best to leave the logs as long as possible and only cut them into shorter pieces when ready to turn green or ready to process into smaller turning blanks. That will prevent end checks from starting to form. I always anchorseal the cut ends but if keeping the whole log some people just cut the checks away to good wood when ready to turn. Worst thing to do is to cut in to firewood-sized chunks, or it may check and crack deeply! (It does make good firewood though.)

What diameter and lengths are the trunks?

Yes, it's quite hard wood, don't know about "extremely" hard, it's all relative. I prefer to turn hard wood, the harder the better! Sharp tools, don't get in a hurry.

The wood is quite yellow when freshly cut, slowly turns darker. The end grain is distinctive, looks much like black locust and mulberry after the fresh yellow fades a bit.

Ornaments_PC244172es.jpg bells_PC244161es.jpg

osage_IMG_20140806_210754_2.jpg

If you have extra, I might be talked into driving across the state with a trailer!

BTW, years ago I got some "limbs" from an osage tree that was, at one time, on the record book as the largest in TN. The limbs were over 2' in diameter. I'm still using some of that. The main trunk was well over 4' in diameter but I didn't get any of that.

Known by many names, depending on location and who is describing it: Bodark, Bois d’arc, Osage Orange, Hedge, Hedge Apple, Horse Apple

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I'm having a few trees taken down next week. While going through the trees that are coming down, the tree guy told me I had three Bodark trees.

Not having heard of these, I looked it up and found out these are also known as Osage Orange trees.

How about a picture of the trees

Paul, your photo is a great demonstration of the fact woods change and generally light woods darken. Now to find an example of dark woods lighten.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Paul, your photo is a great demonstration of the fact woods change and generally light woods darken. Now to find an example of dark woods lighten.
    Walnut! Over time it lightens into a nice amber tone, which is the main reason I have never understood folks that want to put cherry and walnut together. They only look good for awhile. Then, the cherry darkens into a red and the walnut lightens into an amber creating what in my opinion is a mismatch as far as colors go.

And, Chris, I hope the tree guy is going to handle getting the trunk "de-limbed" and disposing of the debris. Handling Osage is like playing with barbed wire!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-23-2021 at 9:44 AM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post

Aka "Bois 'd Arc" around here (as Mr. Jordan points out); "Wood of Arcs (arches?)". The Comanches reportedly favored it for their bows. It makes fabulous fence posts too, but plan to move them every few years ... the ground around them will rot.

(My grandparent's house sat on Bois 'd Arc blocks - in direct ground contact - for ~75 years.)

The three victims

Osage orange is supposed to be the best wood for long bows, even better than yew. I stopped to chat with a bow maker some years back and stayed for about 2 hours... "A black locust fence post will wear out one fence post hole. Osage orange will wear out 2."

robo hippy

It is a most excellent wood for long bows, if you can get some knot free lengths split out. Twist and bend can be handled with some judicious steaming. Bowyers will come from miles around for some good hedge. Best when split.

Bodark, Horse apple around here (N Texas). I got 2 short logs from a friend 30 years ago. One of them spent about 20 years outside on the ground. When I finally decided to use it the wood was still solid and usable but well aged. Termites and carpenter ants hardly made a dent in it. A mallet head I rough turned decades ago is still ready to finish when I get to it.

Good for spindle turning. Makes great finials , cutting glass smooth and a strong grain pattern.
    Jim

Live in Ohio now but grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa. We called them Monkey Ball trees. The fruit are said to be good for keeping spiders and other insects away. Put them around the basement floor. Supposed to only use the fruit that has already fallen to the ground. Good reasoning there. I couldn't imagine trying to climb the tree with all the thorns.