Thread: Fusion 360 to V-Carve

Fusion 360 to V-Carve

So I've been holding off buying V-carve Pro until I get my feet wet sort of speak. I made a couple signs with Carbide Create just to feel like a winner (I made this). But I've also been learning Fusion. What I'm finding is the biggest challenge is that there's a ton of YouTube videos but they were made with different versions of 360. For example a number of the videos say "Click the CAM" button to generate G code. Well it's no longer CAM, now it's called Manufacture. For someone who is brand new things like that set you back. I can see just how powerful Fusion is and doubt I'll ever master it. But I feel pretty comfortable using it now.

So now that I've gotten use to all the steps needed to make stuff on my 1f I'm starting to feel like I should look into V-Carve Pro. I can't see being limited (and tiling) so the desktop version is out and maybe some day I'll upgrade to Aspire but it's a big price jump for just doing hobby stuff. So is Pro going to be easier to learn, as in less things have been changed so older videos will not leave me hunting to figure out why what I'm seeing doesn't match what's on the video? What are the advantages of Pro over Fusion and be a little specific?

I like not being limited to a week or a month before the trial expires but at the same time not being able to actually make something that I created has me wondering. For example with Fusion I've had to go back to the design phase and change things because the bit I was planning on using isn't going to fit. Maybe because I'm new I can't tell until I get to the simulate step in Fusion. I'm guessing that the trial version of Pro will not let me get that far. I think part of my problem is the design aspect I mostly understand and I work with steppers and servos so that part is also very easy for me. It's the middle part that's slowing me down. Also I only have about a dozen different bits (which I guessed at would be useful) so as I figure out the ones I want I think it will help some.

A key difference between VCP and F360 is the latter supports 3D modeling and VCP does not. You would get the back with an upgrade to Aspire later on. But for 2D and 2.5D design/cutting and 3D cutting, VCP is a great product that's well supported and easy to learn. Honestly, while I have very limited exposure to F360, I believe the Vectric software is much better and easier for 2D and 2.5D stuff that's often the focus of a lot of CNC work by most users. There are workarounds in VCP for some of the things one might do in 3D with F360 including using the molding tool path creatively for contouring, etc. (I use it for contouring guitar bodies even though I actually own Aspire...simpler and faster cutting, too) Yes, there are some limits to the Vectric trial versions (for good reason), such as not being able to cut files made on the trial version with the licensed version. But outside of a few limitations, everything works exactly the same in the trial version as it does in the licensed version you would purchase. One other thing...when and if you do decide to upgrade to Aspire, Vectric keeps it simple and without penalty..the cost is just the difference between a new VCP license and a new Aspire license. There's no penalty for starting with VCP first. And since Aspire is the same application as VCP with a lot more stuff, there's no learning curve for what you already know.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post

What are the advantages of Pro over Fusion and be a little specific?
    I use both, only for different things. Although I have used Fusion 360 for creating cut paths for wood routing and plasma cutting, I mainly use it for solid modeling of complex solid objects for 3D printing. I personally feel that Fusion 360 is cumbersome to use for cnc routing, with lots of steps and chances to make mistakes. I use Vectric VCarve Pro (now upgraded to Aspire) for cnc wood routing. The main advantage for me of VCarve Pro over Fusion 360 it that it saves me quite a bit of time. I find it easier to use, more intuitive, and or course it is geared specifically towards cnc wood routing/machining.

In addition, VCarve Pro has much more advanced editing capability than Fusion 360. For example - node editing for fine-tuning drawing, the vector validator for checking for zero length spans, overlaps, and intersections, and so much more. I think that VCarve Pro has a much shorter, less steep learning curve than Fusion 360 - so if you have mastered Fusion 360 (for your purposes) then learning VCarve Pro should be relatively painless.

David

I'm far from a pro on VCarve Pro and no nothing about Fusion. I do feel VCarve is very user friendly. I've even managed to figure out things on my own once or twice. While you can't create 3D from scratch with it you can cut 3D with it on an imported file. As you I'm sure there are LOT of YT videos on it out there. Mark Lindsay is considered one of the best but to be honest most of them have good points. Some make it harder than need be and some make it easier. Sort of like drinking from a fire hose. I don't think you will regret getting VCarve Pro. Very well supported with a great user forum.

Alex, I think you and I are in the same boat, just got our new CNC machines from the same manufacturer, although mines still about a months out.

I've watched countless YT videos on both F360 and VCarve Pro.

I still haven't got comfortable with F360 where I've actually designed something I was able to 3D print. Although I found a good series tutorial called something like 'Fusion 360 printing or die trying'.

When I ordered my CNC, I decided to go the vCarve Pro route and ordered it along with my machine. I'm also a MacBook user, for the past 10+ years, so I bought myself and All-In-One 27" Dell PC, purely for use with vcarve pro.

Although my physical machine is scheduled for September/October delivery, I got a link from the CNC supplier that allowed me to download vcarve and register it.

Since then, I've followed along with Mark Lindsey's 'Vcarve for Absolute Beginners' YT series and it's been very helpful and straight forward.

I started five years ago with F360 and just love working with it. Most of what I do is more toward the engineering side than the artistic side so F360 fits what I do. About two years ago I bought the full-blown Carveco to make it easier to do signs and plaques (basically the same as Aspire).

What I have found is that text brings F360 to its knees but text in Carveco is a walk in the park. So if I have a couple of words to engrave and my design is in F360 then I'll use that for the engraving toolpaths. But if it's a full plaque - 10 Commandments, for instance - then Carveco gets the nod. It amazes me that F360 is capable of some incredibly complex 3D models and even doing stress analysis on components but text is the weak link. I understand F360 is doing an awful lot in the background on text but I wish they had a mode where you can turn off the 'background process' and just do simple text.

Another huge difference is that F360 CAM is far and away better than anything Vectric or Carveco can do. F360 requires you to know a bit about machining and tool selection but the Carveco/Vectric platforms are largely wizard driven and that helps you with the manufacturing part. That's not necessarily a bad thing but F360 has a lot more to offer when it comes to controlling the toolpath.

One thing that I use in F360 is parametric modeling and the others don't have this feature. This allows me to create a shape, plug in different dimensions for different situations, and have the model adjust accordingly without having to go back into the drawing and manually make all those changes. A for instance would be a desktop phone holder sized to fit different phones; rather than have 20 different models you would have one and just change the dimensions in the parametric modeling table.

So my $0.02 is that if you'll be doing 3D carvings, signs, plaques, etc. with a lot of text then get VCP. If you'll be doing highly detailed pockets, varying radii, multiple levels, ridges, drilled holes and machined holes, etc. in flat work then F360 is going to be better.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Fusion is fine in some ways but being able to so so much means having too many options. I think text was an afterthought though. At least right now I'm trying to make more and more complicated things but I don't see myself doing much more than 2.5d work. But if I ever get a 3d printer having experience with it will be very helpful. I'm not a subscription type of person which is why Vcarve is at the top of my list. I'll play around with the trial version. It sounds like it's a lot more powerful that Carbide Create and not as complex as Fusion.

Carbide Create does, more or less, the bare minimum for folks new to CNC work to make stuff. It's not in the same class as VCP and other more capable programs. A lot of Shapeoko owners "graduate" to VCP, etc., once they actually start cutting stuff because there is a limit to what Carbide Create can do. But that application really is ideal for may hobbyist users just starting out to get a taste of CAD/CAM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...