Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopping 120 volt jointers

Most likely a 240 or three phase jointer will be as well or better made then a 120 volt one. And cheaper to buy used. Changing a motor is easy if it is belt drive.
    If it is three phase they make vfd's that take 120 volts single phase and output three phase around 208-240 volts. I think they max out around one HP. But you can use it for now to run a 3hp motor but you will be limited to one hp output regardless of motor size. When you get 240 volts switch out the vfd to get the hp needed.
    Bill D

PS: not much to fail on a jointer. Ball bearings are interchangeable. Knives are standard sizes. Not much to break or wear.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-10-2021 at 2:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    not much to fail on a jointer. Ball bearings are interchangeable. Knives are standard sizes. Not much to break or wear.
    Appreciate the input folks. I ended up grabbing a Shop Fox w1745 off facebook market place last weekend. As Bill pointed out the main things to look at are the cutter block and table castings, the rest of any jointer should be off the shelf parts.

The one I got was roughly 40% off (local) retail with the factory blades in it, the original owner had zero cracks in his poured concrete shop floor. So it probably has been dragged around by the ends of the tables a LOT, but not over any bumps. I did fire it up and ran a scrap through, after adjusting the fence. It will be usable once I get the surface rust off the table surfaces.

My plan is to get after the surface rust on the tables (a couple coffee mug rings) with 400 and 1000 grit, wax them up real good, replace the nicked blades, adjust the tables once, and see how long the tables stay in adjustment. 110vac feels a little on the wimpy side for me as a jointer, but it should meet my current needs and will have to meet my needs until I have 220vac readily available.

Several seemingly useful youtubes on jointer stup with dovetail ways. If I find any nuance to the Shop Fox I will start a new thread in the fullness of time. Currently in the midst of a different space consuming shop thing that is going away as fast as I can make it trot.

On behalf of future search button users, thanks again.

Scott, I don't think you'll have much issue with power on that jointer. Normally, the cut is pretty shallow (multiple passes better anyway) and even if you are flattening a face, going slow is the name of the game and doesn't put a huge load on the motor. Jointers are pretty simple tools in that respect. I'm glad you found something and once you get it cleaned up, it will be nice to have for your work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One of the best mods to a jointer ,for those without dust collection, is to slip a piece of cardboard or plywood into the floor of the dust chute so it sticks out a few inches. This extends the dust chute so the dust can fall into a box to be disposed of. Also a good magnet will keep the box in place. Just make sure not to throw the magnet out with the chips.
    Bill D