Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw without miter slots advise?

bandsaw without miter slots advise?

So the used bandsaw I bought does not have a slot for a miter gauge.

I'd like it to have it so I can do cross cuts every so often. I have a milling machine, and I can remove the heavy table (that likely weights 100lbs) and mill a slot into it for a miter gauge. It looks like the cast iron has at least 1/2" of "meat" on it so I could possibly mill a 1/2" wide slot 1/4" deep to allow me to use a miter gauge on the saw. But is there anything that can get me if I were to mill into the cast iron? Will the table warp if I attempt to machine it?

Or am I better off bolting an auxiliary table onto the saw table that has a miter gauge slot?
    Typhoon Guitars

This video might give some ideas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUoHHdLex0

If it's not possible to rig up something that could run on the underside of the edge of the table.

Personally, I would not mill the table. Even if the webbing looks adequate, you might release some internal stress in the casting and end up with an un-flat table or something else. I guess I would make a sled that references off the fence. Or maybe references off the righthand edge of the cast iron table if it's 90 degrees to the table surface. Just thinking out loud.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

That guy is using a beast of a bandsaw.

I wish there's translation available... my German isn't that good.

I guess I should bolt some rails to the edge of the table, it seems handy for attaching stuff.
    Typhoon Guitars

I have never missed having a miter gauge on my bandsaw. Occasionally I will use a backup block riding against the fence for crosscuts.

My bandsaw use would be severely limited without the miter slots. I might consider bolting something to the right side of the table with a miter gage slot. Or use a miter gage with a lip that rides against the side of the table, assuming the side is straight.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    So the used bandsaw I bought does not have a slot for a miter gauge.

I'd like it to have it so I can do cross cuts every so often. I have a milling machine, and I can remove the heavy table (that likely weights 100lbs) and mill a slot into it for a miter gauge. It looks like the cast iron has at least 1/2" of "meat" on it so I could possibly mill a 1/2" wide slot 1/4" deep to allow me to use a miter gauge on the saw. But is there anything that can get me if I were to mill into the cast iron? Will the table warp if I attempt to machine it?

Or am I better off bolting an auxiliary table onto the saw table that has a miter gauge slot?

Make a plywood platform you can put over the regular table that has a slot integral to use for crosscutting...you'll lose a little bit of cut height, but it will do the job. Or a sled that indexes on the outside edge of the table if your hands are steady.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Hema has a side mount miter gauge that folds out of the way when not in use. Might be easy to fabricate something like this.
    ABBAE3FB-A747-4C00-AC2C-6FBE1F27FE7D.jpg
    7A4C2A59-CE41-45D8-94B0-4115C946B247.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Make a plywood platform you can put over the regular table that has a slot integral to use for crosscutting...you'll lose a little bit of cut height, but it will do the job.

+1 Couldn't have said it better.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have never ever found the need for a miter gage on a bandsaw. Just cut to a line.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I have never ever found the need for a miter gage on a bandsaw. Just cut to a line.
    +1. (Added drivel to reach minimum length).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I wouldn't worry about machining a slot warping the table. The internal stresses should have been released at the factory when it was machined. Machining warpy metal is just like warpy wood- rough mill it , let it warp, then finish machine the warp out. If the saw is a unknown import brand you take your chances that it was machined properly. On a band saw I don't think a warped table has an effect on the cuts like it would on a table saw. It is not a tool to get a glue ready quality cut.

Jim

Also this saw is likely made in the 1980s. It's really old. I figure if it would warp, it would have already...
    Typhoon Guitars

Aux table. However, aligning it each time you attach it and having to rig up side support all for modest precision at best might be an argument for a miter saw for cross cuts. This is how I have been doing it since I sold my table saw recently.

The think with machining a slot in the existing table is that if the table wasn't designed for it, there may not be enough "meat" there to properly support the slot which in turn could affect the table in a bad way. The castings for tables that get slots are very likely different (underneath) than something without.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...