Thread: What is it?

What is it?

Found in my cocktail last night, probably stainless steel, it has a very weak magnetic attraction, probably came out of the ice maker in the fridge.

IMG_20210820_083603160.jpg
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

end of a link for the ice auger or dump rod?
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

might be half (looks broken) of a pivot pin that the cube tray rotates on, or maybe from the 'flap-door' on the fridge door, if the fridge door is involved, or...?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

No silly, it's a dime.

Sorry, it's late and I can't resist.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The ice maker is in the door, the fridge is only 18 months old. Inspected what I could without taking anything apart and found no trace of a problem and the ice maker still works and still crushes ice. I can't imagine it came out of the vodka bottle.
    Anonyms

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    The ice maker is in the door, the fridge is only 18 months old. Inspected what I could without taking anything apart and found no trace of a problem and the ice maker still works and still crushes ice. I can't imagine it came out of the vodka bottle.
    Is it a Samsung?

No, it's a Kenmore Elite.
    Anonyms

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    I can't imagine it came out of the vodka bottle.
    Stranger things have happened because of what came out of a vodka bottle.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Stranger things have happened because of what came out of a vodka bottle.
    Usually as a result of what comes off because of the vodka bottle.

No, it's a Kenmore Elite.
    Which means it could be a Samsung. Kenmore is just a name. Kenmore itself was just the brand name Sears put on their private label of appliances - just as the Craftsman name was applied to tools.

It does look a whole lot like the ID chip the vet stuck in our dog - but - I doubt that's what it is. I guess my earlier comment crossed a line - sorry.

My guess (serious answer) would be it's something that got into the ice maker during assembly & just worked it's way out.
    Who knows these days.
    With so much stuff coming out of questionable workshops in foreign countries, you never know for sure.

Every time I read/hear of something odd like this - I think back to a post here at SMC where somebody cut into a sheet of foreign produced plywood and discovered a basket ball of all things. Reports of utility knives in plywood were also numerous.

Anyhow- what you might want to do is take the model number of the appliance to eparts online & look over some parts lists to see if anything there looks like it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

so I took the pic, upscaled it, and put it in Corel- I sized the 'thing' based on the .705" diameter of a dime, after drawing an outline around it-
    dg3.jpg
    -the size in inches came out to .212" long x .09" thick- this is fractionally very close to 7/32" x 3/32"...

it looks like it's been thru the wringer, several dimples and deformations that took some work to produce, the left edge almost looks like it was torn away from the rest of it-? Pretty sure it's not an IC chip!
    dg.jpg
    I don't think there's anything in an icemaker that would cause it to look like that, I would suspect this piece to cause the icemaker more damage than vice versa. Maybe part of the fridge assembly process went awry and this has been sitting in the icemaker and finally broke free? Or something similar at the liquor bottling facility?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That sounds reasonable. Actual measurements are 0.215" long x 0.082" thick.
    Anonyms