Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Tire Replacement

Bandsaw Tire Replacement

The lower tire on my Laguna 14/12 bandsaw failed today. These are about 5 years old.

Do I replace with an OEM part, or are there better alternatives.

Thanks.

I do NOT recommend the Carter blue urethane tires. I put them on my Rikon 14" thinking these would be an upgrade of the OEM tires that needed replaced. They are not wide enough to fill the wheel rim to rim so getting the tire to sit evenly spaced around the wheel was a chore. In fact, it is still a tedious task for me to get the blade to track properly after changing. At some point I'll get fed up enough to switch back to the OEM tires.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I used Sulpher Grove urethane tires on my 18" Rikon. Fun to install. Work well.

I wouldn't buy directly from Sulpher Grove. They charged me more than the same tires on Amazon.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 08-20-2021 at 4:42 PM. Reason: typo

I have used blue and orange tires on my 19" grizzly. Think orange tire supplier name was Sulphur Grove. These tires apparantly lose tension over time. I have have had tires from grizzly fail in a year or 2 so 5 years is not bad. Replace both.

MK

Thanks, ordered a set of Suiphur Grove tires from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Khan View Post
    I have used blue and orange tires on my 19" grizzly. Think orange tire supplier name was Sulphur Grove. These tires apparantly lose tension over time. I have have had tires from grizzly fail in a year or 2 so 5 years is not bad. Replace both.

MK
    I've had the orange Sulpher Grove tires on my Rikon for about five years now with no sign (yet) of degrading.

The were so tight they were difficult to put on. First cut the old off and spun the wheel with a wire brush in a drill to clean the tire. I soaked the new tires in hot water, slipped the tire over the top of a wheel then used thin pry bars to stretch the tire over the rim of the wheel near the bottom.

I called Laguna when I needed new ones for my 18bx. Had them in no time and works great

Check out "Blue Max" tires. I had a set of Suphur Groves that lasted over 12 years on my Delta 14". Both failed within a week of each other. Because I had another spare set for a different saw, I installed them. Next set will most likely be Blue Maxes.

Blog Entries

I am coming up on 7 years with the orange tires from Sulphur Grove on my 18" Jet, and they still look pretty much new. I use the saw almost daily, and never de-tension it except to change a blade. Also I cut a fair amount of brass on this saw every few months, and those chips get embedded in the lower tire, so I scrape them off after each brass cutting session. I got mine from Amazon too, as I recall.

I bought a saw of orange tires (urethane) for my bandsaw off eBay from polybelt. They've been excellent, though my only comparison was the mediocre tires that Hitachi had on the saw before. I have to imagine they're the same product others here mentioned but rebranded, bandsaw tires can't be that large of a market.

I replaced the tires on my 14|12 a couple of years ago with the orange tires from Sulphur Grove. Just be sure to get the tires that are made for the 14|12, they are slightly different than the standard 14 inch tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave VanDewerker View Post
    I replaced the tires on my 14|12 a couple of years ago with the orange tires from Sulphur Grove. Just be sure to get the tires that are made for the 14|12, they are slightly different than the standard 14 inch tires.
    Thanks for the heads up, that's exactly what i did.

Bandsaw arrived a couple of days early. Had to go hunting for one of my mechanics pullers to remove the bottom wheel.

Using the 2"x4" with a couple of dowels method, both tires went on easily and fit the rims perfectly.

The saw runs fine, blade tracks well, but I need to dial the blade in tomorrow to check the drift.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Using the 2"x4" with a couple of dowels method, both tires went on easily and fit the rims perfectly.
    Could you elaborate?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME