Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FWW Magazine Oct 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I just cannot image how tough it must be to try to run a profitable business publishing magazines these days. No matter the audience.

Erik
    I worked at Woodworker's Journal for 3 years in the 90s. The only relation to subscribers and profit was in the marketing to advertisers. Advertisers made the magazine profitable and subscribers was just a little gravy. If you didn't have high enough subscriber numbers, the advertisers didn't sign on. That's the reason they have specials and even a fare number of free issues go out so the print numbers look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I agree completely. Not long ago they did a 6 page article on driving wood screws. So more pages wasted with a solution to a non problem.
    I thought that article redefined OCD. Just stared at it shaking my head. I still subscribe, but find less and less useful. The galleries are great, though. Lots of talented woodworkers out there.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Been subscriber from day one, yes I've been at it a long time, have seen most things...and have built lots of complicated pieces. For every one of me that unsubscribed or passed away, FWW is looking for ten folks just starting out.
    There are journals for period restorations and duplication of pieces.... a far smaller reader base and hence higher subscription cost. I enjoy and support FWW... I don't blink at the cost of good chisels, so price of FWW doesn't bother me. IMHO
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Justis View Post
    I have been a FWW subscriber for nearly 35 years, so I understand that keeping the content interesting year after year is a challenge. But, I still eagerly await each new issue. So I just read the latest issue this morning: a 4 page article on setting a stool on fire and calling the result a "finish", and then a 9 page article on wall anchors. I double checked the cover to see if I was reading Better Homes and Gardens, but no, it says FWW on the cover. It may be time to rethink the renewal this year...
    Gee, I thought the Gallery Section was outstanding this month

Phil, very nice work! The ebony pulls really complement the cherry.

I'm one of those that has every FWW issue on the bookshelf. I know they have to inspire and teach the next generation of woodworkers. I've noticed on Youtube videos of "amazing craftsmanship" have a lot of comments saying how amazing and skilled the person is. I just scratch my head since I saw that kind of stuff 20 year ago in FWW, or what a dumb thing I just saw. Those people are potential FWW readers and need to know about wall hangers.

A few issues ago they had an article that inspired me to get building with a couple of boards I bought 10 years ago.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Right now Shou sugi ban is all the rage and any project made out of any wood is in danger of someone burning it.
    Does this mean that ridiculous "rustic" thing is finally over !?!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have tons of old woodworking mags. Gave away many boxes to local HS woodshop. Still rotate remaining small stacks into the house from the garage for reading. Still go back and read old FWW big size, black and white, etc. Used to take FWW but way to much fluff and recycled articles these days. I'm not into all the latest tools and techniques, just make basic stuff that keeps me happy and busy in my advanced retired age. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I was thinking of starting a thread about how good the current FWW issue is. The Heirloom Box, the Floating Shelf, Mario Rodriguez’s Scandinavian table, the steam bent spiral lamps and of course Phil Gaudio’s piece on page 70. And if you notice they sold some pretty good ads too. This is really topnotch stuff. I enjoyed it.

I am a charter subscriber. This is a strong issue and, I think, a new direction. I am glad for it.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Does this mean that ridiculous "rustic" thing is finally over !?!

I think so, now I'm waiting for the epoxy poured river tables to go away, forever.
    That's just my opinion

Overall quality has decreased for several years IMHO. I, too, thought all those pages on wall anchors was a waste of paper and ink. The magazine was called Fine Woodworking for a reason, or so I thought. There are plenty of gifted younger woodworkers out there. Some of them have been featured in FWW in recent years. They just need to feature more of them. I'm quite surprised I haven't seen a feature article yet on CNC driven work. Or 3D printers. Or were there and I ignored them? In any case, FWW needs to adapt with the times to survive. I just hope they can do it while remaining true to the truly fine woodworking they showcased for many years, the works of so many that inspired me to become a better woodworker.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Overall quality has decreased for several years IMHO. The magazine was called Fine Woodworking for a reason, or so I thought.

John
    I have commented on some of their stories online, don't know if they're ever read by anyone who matters. I agree about the content, sometimes the stories would be more at home in an issue of Garage Journal.

I just recently subscribed to the magazine unlimited service. I was most interested in having access to the digital library, and so far is pretty awesome! My only complaint so far is that I can only read the digital magazines (1975 to current) using a browser. The iPad app is useless. I get hooked and stay reading so long that my eyes get really sore. It would be awesome to be able to read them on a kindle or such device that are "paper-like" my eyes would be so thankful!
    Communication is key to success.

I stick with it. I may get an issue and breeze through it, thinking nothing interesting here. Frequently however I will go back and there is always something of interest. I was looking at one of the old issues at our local Re-store and was struck by the pages of ads in the back for wood, services etc. All gone in todays world. So many mags have folded. Now that I know what wall anchors to use, I guess I’ll stick with them. it is the only magazine i still subscribe to.

Seems to me that the air on Mt Olympus must be low in oxygen and the view in the valley is obscured by clouds. Otherwise those that have reached the lofty heights of their woodworking experience would not have forgotten how they got there and all of the help they required on the way.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville