Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FWW Magazine Oct 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Luis G Rodriguez View Post
    I just recently subscribed to the magazine unlimited service. I was most interested in having access to the digital library, and so far is pretty awesome! My only complaint so far is that I can only read the digital magazines (1975 to current) using a browser. The iPad app is useless. I get hooked and stay reading so long that my eyes get really sore. It would be awesome to be able to read them on a kindle or such device that are "paper-like" my eyes would be so thankful!
    Many years ago I received the CD collections of FWW and Woodwork magazines, and used this to create PDF files. These were then loaded onto my iPad in Books. It is wonderful to browse old articles, like old friends, on plane flights, in a waiting room, or in bed (where my wife objects to pages being turned).

There is also the FWW app for the iPad. This allows you to download the magazines to read at your leisure.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-21-2021 at 6:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Seems to me that the air on Mt Olympus must be low in oxygen and the view in the valley is obscured by clouds. Otherwise those that have reached the lofty heights of their woodworking experience would not have forgotten how they got there and all of the help they required on the way.
    I don't think that experienced folks forget how they got there at all. But at some point, there's diminishing value to subscriptions due to cyclic redundancy in articles/projects and even the advertising is less relevant. FW is a fine magazine for sure. There's a chance I might buy a specific issue if there was something I felt was of interest and beneficial to me. I would not re-subscribe, however, and nothing has caught my eye in a long time. That's a subjective thing, but it's absolutely not a cut against a great publication, and one of the few that still survives and thrives.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim Becker: well said and I agree!

Jim - interesting. Do you find any woodworking publications worth subscribing to? What publications do you find useful. Might be good advice for the group.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Jim - interesting. Do you find any woodworking publications worth subscribing to? What publications do you find useful. Might be good advice for the group.
    Honestly, I dropped all subscriptions years ago. The constant repetition didn't bring much value...other than maybe interesting reading in the "library" instead of Facebook. But remember, that's a subjective thing. If some deity required me to subscribe to one magazine, it would likely be Fine Woodworking, however. But at this point, it's slim pickins since some of the really decent, but smaller ones are long gone.
    --

I am a charter subscriber to Fine Woodworking. I have a couple of bookshelves of all the back issues. I plan to continue subscribing as long as they publish it. I can only imagine the scene in 10 to 20 years as the daughters are cleaning out the house and come across the chronologically arranged issues with a few years bound in archival covers. They will say to each other nostalgically, “Do you remember how Dad used to pore over every issue when it came?” “Yes, he really liked them. I think Isaac just dumped the big garbage can. I’ll go get it.”

Perhaps my standards are low or my memory of the redundancy is poor or maybe I appreciate the difficulty of the task in the face of advertisers flight from print media, the rise of the internet podcasts, blogs, and influencers, and aging of the woodworking hobbyists, but I still look forward to the new issue. Taunton Press is a family-owned business. The staff is small and getting smaller every year. They rely on reader contributions and a few reliable expert authors to get an issue out every other month. I think it is as good a job as can be done. The newly promoted editor, Mike Pecovich, is looking for new ways to engage new contributors and new subscribers. Except for the preponderance of project articles being about Arts and Crafts or Shaker style (mostly joking Mike), I like his new direction. Perhaps, I should submit an article about Math in Woodworking. I am sure that would draw in the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    ...Perhaps, I should submit an article about Math in Woodworking. I am sure that would draw in the masses.
    I'd read it.
    MIT Class of '81
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    The newly promoted editor, Mike Pecovich, is looking for new ways to engage new contributors and new subscribers. Except for the preponderance of project articles being about Arts and Crafts or Shaker style (mostly joking Mike), I like his new direction. Perhaps, I should submit an article about Math in Woodworking. I am sure that would draw in the masses.
    Since you mentioned Pekovich, I'll share a story. About two years ago, an issue showed up where Mike Pekovich was demonstrating methods of dovetails. Of course I groaned and thought here we go for the 1,000th time.

Upon closer inspection, his method of using a mini flush trim router bit with a platform jig to clean up to the pin board baseline was not something I've ever seen. I had to re-read it for the second time to realize the opportunity that was right in front of me. I have since adapted the technique to the router table and it has saved me hours of chisel work at a bench. Now the only time I break out a chisel for hand cut dovetails with razor thin pins is when I am cleaning out the space between tails.

My point, don't be so sure you're looking at repetitive content. The method of work in some of these articles is novel and sometimes you have to look a little harder to see there's gold on the floor. Of course, at that point you also have to be willing to bend over and pick it up
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 11-22-2021 at 11:04 AM.

I built that router jig a couple of weeks ago. Found it while flipping through recent issues. It is great and also got me more interested in trim routers and led me to Steve Latta’s wall cabinet, which led me back to moulding planes.

I read the issues cover to cover when they arrive and also enjoy the videos and other digital content.

It must be really hard to put together a magazine on a schedule with content that appeals to folks with all levels of experience and keep them interested. I think they do a great job.
    Last edited by Todd Zucker; 11-23-2021 at 7:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'd read it.
    MIT Class of '81
    Alan, you had the good sense to change direction a bit in ‘82. I on the other hand kept digging a deeper and deeper hole. Georgia Tech ‘74, ‘76, and ‘09. I will remember you when I have this Math in Woodworking urge again and instead of an article, I will make it a PM. The readership will be unchanged.

Thomas, I think your idea of an article that speaks about math in woodworking is a sound one. A 'Tuber that I follow who does post frame structures constantly is saying "Math doesn't lie" and he uses that to insure the best quality and the straightest buildings he executes on. The same is ultimately true in furniture and cabinet-making, but many of us "wing it" rather than do the actual math. In my case, I just plain do not enjoy it, but...
    --