Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 years ago today - I retired!

10 years ago today - I retired!

I can't believe it's been ten years already!

The last ten years sure went by faster than the first ten years i worked.
    I can still remember counting the days until I qualified for three weeks vacation @ ten years!
    LOL!

It's been - different. Not quite what I expected.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I hear you! I passed the 10 year mark last December. It seems like last week.
    I do get a chuckle when I'm occasionally stuck in rush hour traffic, thankful that I don't have to deal with it very often.

Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yeah, I'm about ten years into retirement, first year or so I would have considered any chance to go back, now I can't think of a reason why I would even consider it.

Blog Entries
    My retirement is closing in on 14 years.

There wasn't much of a desire to return. Would have done short term consults. Every time an opportunity shows it self my thoughts turn to how much pleasure comes from not having to get up, get dressed, get out and drive to work every morning.

A note to the young ones reading this, the sooner you start saving for retirement, the sooner you can retire.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A note to the young ones reading this, the sooner you start saving for retirement, the sooner you can retire.jtk
    Yes and the other note is a quote from the Wealthy Barber "pay yourself first" by that he means don't invest for your retirement with what's left at the end of the month, invest first and then live off what's left. If you put away say 10% at the beginning of each month it won't take long before you adjust and don't notice it's gone (until you retire). If you wait until the end of the month to invest for retirement you will fail.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealthy_Barber

17 years ago I cut my ties with Ford after 35 years. Loved the job, hated the 1 hr drive.
    I almost didn't make it past 1 year due to a heart attack.

I'm on final approach. 4 or 5 years to retirement depending on how much fun I'm having. My quandary is that I like what I do and who I do it with (most days). I like having a purpose.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'm coming up on 4 years on 1 October. 'Seems like just yesterday or more likely eons ago. Still busier than when I was employed full time. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Im 39. 5 years of part time and 22 years of full time into working and have another 30 to go. Gotta love family business. Most of the years so far have been underpaid and 60 hour weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A note to the young ones reading this, the sooner you start saving for retirement, the sooner you can retire.
    I retired at 49, and am now 13 years into it. Couldn't agree more with the above. You can always work if you love your job, but having the ability to get out when you want to is priceless.

I can recommend retirement. I retired about 15 years ago at age 56. This was after 30 years with the a National Lab.

I had the absolute best job in the world, did only the work I wanted, on my own schedule, and wherever I decided was appropriate - most of the time it was in my basement studio. This was one corner.

dungeon_PA149365s.jpg

I stayed busier than I ever imagined and absolutely loved the work. But I love retirement more.

llamas_IMG_20140913_154543_.jpg

One thing, don't retire unless you have lots of interests away from the work. I know too many people who retired then with nothing to do wondered around looking lost, sat on the couch, watched a lot of TV, puttered around in the yard, and gained a lot of weight.

JKJ

Just last week my wife and I were in the kitchen and we were laughing. “This retirement is not bad.” Soon to be 73 I am a 3 yrs into retirement. I don’t miss the airports. I do miss the people. Oh, well, out to the shop.

Eight years for me but I still consider myself semi-retired because of my sign business. I do enjoy the freedom to decide what I am going to do each day, mostly because if I do have an active sign job in my shop I generally control the schedule. John is right, it is necessary to have plenty of interests to keep both mind and body busy. I would be a basket case without my workshop. Between sign projects I have recently started making garden gnomes and holiday decorations just for fun.

Rip_Van_Winkle.jpg Skeletons 2.jpg

I just ordered three more sets of skeleton plans and have 59 unique garden gnomes and holiday decorations ready to start machining.

Jackie and I do get out several times per week even if it is just a trip to the store or to go out to lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I'm on final approach. 4 or 5 years to retirement depending on how much fun I'm having. My quandary is that I like what I do and who I do it with (most days). I like having a purpose.
    Rob, I had the same approach until I realized that the sooner I retired the longer my retirement would be…..Rod.

Geez, I’m surrounded by geezers!

Looks in mirror, never mind😀

Glad you’re enjoying retirement Rich………Regards, Rod.