Thread: Getting my dirty hands clean

Getting my dirty hands clean

Here's an unsolicited testimonial for a product that really I like.

Somehow my hands always get really dirty in my workshop even when I'm wearing nitrile gloves. Maybe it's because I forget to put them on right away and they are already dirty when I eventually put them on, or I take them off too soon and then continue working. And then there's the gardening, too. So sawdust, metal dust when restoring a plane, oily dirt and grime, or whatever ends up embedded in my fingers and hands.

Regardless of what kind of soap or cleansing goop I use, I always like to use some kind of brush to scrub my finger tips and get under and around the nails.
    Here's a Rubbermaid product that I bought on Amazon (about $5.00 as I recall) that looked like a surgical scrub brush:
    CrummyNailBrush.jpg
    This photo was taken after about 3 months of use and after I cleaned out the trap of my laundry-room sink. I found these little plastic bristles in that slow-running drain, wound-up with the hair and other yuck that I cleaned out. Prior to this brush I used another similar inexpensive brush (don't recall the brand name) that had the same issue.

So, back to Amazon, looking for something better, and I think I've found it. It's made by Fuller Brush Co. (made in the USA).
    FullerNailBrush.jpg
    This puppy cost me a whopping $25.00, but after some heavy use, it has held up and works great. One side has 6 rows of bristles that are just right for scrubbing your hands in general, and the other side has 3 rows, good for getting under and around your nails. The bristles are not to soft and not too stiff.

I seldom write reviews of products on the Amazon website, but I did for this one as it actually works to clean my hands with no bristles falling out.
    Another reason I bought this: When I was a kid in the 1950's, my dad bought me a Fuller Brush hair brush. I still have it and still use it my travel bag (but granted, there's much less hair now for it to work with).

Jim

Blog Entries
    The value of a good brush can hardly be understated.

Ordered.

My least favorite thing on the planet is greasy hands doing mechanic/auto work or machine work in the shop. Drives me nuts and even with heavy black nitrile gloves they tear and your sunk.

Dont know if you've tried it but Ive use bunches of hand cleaners because working on a car I might wash my hands a dozen times because I cant stand them being all greasy, but Fast Orange with pumice is about the best hand cleaner Ive ever found and I use it with a brush in the shop sink all the time. You have to start with it dry, no water, just the Fast Orange. it cuts grease and grime like nothing Ive ever used and isnt overly abrasive like Lava bar soaps and so on. Good heavy hand full, a brush, good scrub, then a rinse and repeat after a second time if needed and the nastiest hand mess for me is poof.

Thanks for the heads up.

I found the best hand cleaner without trying. My Wife gave me a handful of stuff to wash with Woolite. With hot water in the sink, and swishing the delicates in the hot water, my hands came out cleaner than I ever remember them. I've tried it with just a washcloth, and it continues to work. It even cleans under my fingernails, and doesn't really take long.

The Fuller Brush Company. Wow, I haven't heard of them in many years. That brings back memories of the door to door salesman.

Thanks for the review

Woolite is a strong cleaner. The advertised gentleness is the fact that because it’s strong it doesn’t need bronco-like agitation.

As for hand/fingernail brushes, I haven't found one better than this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BXL00C The stiff bristles for the names are angled perfectly.
    Coming in from working on the tractor or such I always have grease and dirt under my nails. I dig them across a bar of soap then after a minute brush the nails with the angled bristles and the hands with the other side and I'm ready for surgery with the scalpels and sutures.

Just ordered another one. the two I got in the past were yellow but it looks like some are black. (This order isn't for the whole box.)

JKJ

Blog Entries
    As for hand cleaner for greasy hands, just use Dawn dish detergent. Works for me. Hey, they use it to clean animals covered with crude oil, remember the Exxon Valdez? As far as nitrile gloves, try the HF 9 mil extreme heavy duty version.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-20-2021 at 7:49 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

My brush should be in today!

Thanks