Thread: Prices coming down on building materials

Prices coming down on building materials

As I get closer to framing up the new shop then the house, I keep checking prices. This morning OSB at Lowes was $13.64 a sheet in bulk. I think it topped out at around $45 maybe 5 weeks ago. I'm feeling better about the delay in getting started

Perry

I'm feeling happy about the return to normal prices too. I've been checking 2x4x8 SPF each weekend online at the box stores, and it's great to see them down under $4 again. I don't know when I'll be needing to buy some materials or what they'll be, but the time is certainly getting closer now and the high prices had me feeling a bit worried.

Under $15 for OSB is reasonable. I need three more sheets to finish the interior of my garage, so I'll be watching prices.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

I'm pleased to hear this as it will have impact on my own future shop building project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can't believe the prices you guys are quoting. OSB topped out at $115 a sheet here. That was my contractor price at a lumber yard I have dealt with for 15 years. Pre Covid it was in the 16-17 bucks a sheet range. currently about $50. No I have not bought any. I do have a roof project that we have put on hold waiting for plywood to drop in price again. Is the OSB that you guys are finding in the Big Box stores sourced from Canada ?
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 08-30-2021 at 1:34 AM.

I don't know the source, Mike, but I did notice that the OSB sheathing at my local HD was down to like $15 the other day. The thicker underlayment was still farther up the price scale.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can get a good feel for where prices are going per lumber future contracts:
    https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/lbs

Price at the store will lag as they purge inventory purchased at higher prices, but it's still a little above historic averages for now.

Blog Entries
    One other thing I'll say is that the lumber "quality" at the big box stores appears to be bouncing back too. While I generally use the lumber yard for most purchases (preferring their service, quality, and delivery), the big box stores do have a place for me in certain DIY instances. While I always build in expectation of needing to pick through the pile, I found that during the time frame when 2x4's (as an example) were through the roof in terms of price, they were also very twisty / splintered / cracked etc. Much worse than usual.

Just yesterday, I needed a small number of studs to keep my project moving and simply couldn't wait for lumber yard to open today... Not only did I find that the pricing was far better than past weeks ($4 price for 2x4x8), but I was also pleasantly surprised that it was quick work to find suitable quality. I was able to accept 5 out of 6 boards and keep moving about my day.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I paid 6 and change for 2x4's for the bench build. Big box store might be less expensive but with gas I kept local and I don't like to drive.