Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you running a SawStop on an *off-grid* PV system?

Are you running a SawStop on an *off-grid* PV system?

I just bought a Sawstop (3HP Professional) and it won't run on my off-grid system (2 x Outback VFX3524 inverters). The inverters can provide enough power for similar sized tools, but the Sawstop is sensitive to the voltage drop caused by the sarting tsurge and shuts down. I'd like to find out if anyone is successfully running this saw on their off-grid inverters and what brand and configuration you're running.

Interested in what you find as i am considering batteries for my 7.5kwh solar install. What has SS said? Have they offered any suggestions?

Instantaneous start currents are high on single phase motors, really high. One solution would be a 3 phase machine with a VFD programmed for soft start. A possible solution could be a much larger start capacitor. This is a brainstorm to look into and not a known solution.

This actually looks perfect. Electronic soft start for a single phase motor. I would still contact Sawstop to make sure their saw is ok with this.

https://www.raymondinnovations.com/c.../products/gt20

I've had extensive discussions with tech support at SawStop. Everyone I've talked to is really knowledgeable about the saw and it's inner workings. Responding to comments in turn:
    Jack - even with batteries, it you remain grid-tied you won't run into problems.
    Joe - yes, starting currents are huge. The SawStop pulls about 47A for 100ms, which is within the rated capacity of the inverters, but the voltage drop is the issue. SawStop is familiar with the problem and recommends not buying the saw if you are on off-grid solar or rely on anything other than a substantial generator. I thought about a larger start capacitor until a friend explained how it functions and it's not really a starting boost in the sense you might think. Motors with a starting capacitor have two sets of coils - run coils and start coils. The capacitor (start or run) provides the phase shift between coils, it's not stored power.

The SawStop is a much more sophisticated system than your run-of-the mill saw. Your generic saw just has an on/off switch (maybe "magnetic"), but still a simple on/off switch. You can replace the motor at your whim. Not so with the SawStop. The motor is integrated with the rest of the system. For example, there's a rotation sensor that is used to detect that the saw is still coasting after shutting off, so the brake system doesn't disengage until the blade has stopped. The same sensor is used to check if the blade has spun up fast enough. If not, the saw shuts down. A third party soft-start would fail this test. SawStop could, of course, build an integrated slow-start, but even then I couldn't retrofit it on my saw.

As an electrical engineer, a large enough capacitor would prevent voltage drop. Simple calc to figure out how many farads would be needed. I'd calculate and double or triple it. Sawstop is doing what we would at work. Non-standard is not recommended. Anything more increases their liability.

David, what about the contractors sawsstop? I use this one on a heavy duty mobile base and like it. I assume you bought the SS because of the blade brake and this keeps you in that world if it won't run into the same voltage drop issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    This actually looks perfect. Electronic soft start for a single phase motor. I would still contact Sawstop to make sure their saw is ok with this.

https://www.raymondinnovations.com/c.../products/gt20
    That would have to go in the circuit after the electronics, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I doubt if SawStop would sign off on it though.

I know little to nothing about this stuff but will add that, over the years, have talked to a few folks who tried to run bandsaws or smaller machines (say, less than 5hp) in these off-the-grid type situations with generators, etc. Every one of them reported back that the machine was ultimately unusable. As others mentioned, the startup amp draw seems to be too high for these types of setups. To the OP, if you do manage to figure out a capacitor-based solution, please share with us.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen White View Post
    David, what about the contractors sawsstop? I use this one on a heavy duty mobile base and like it. I assume you bought the SS because of the blade brake and this keeps you in that world if it won't run into the same voltage drop issue.
    Besides the brake, the SawStop is a superbly designed saw incorporating features the other vendors have yet to copy. The blade lift mechanism has air-springs to counter-balance the weight, making movement easy in both directions. The tilt is balanced to that movement is easy in both directions. The contractor saw would be a step down from the Delta Cabinet saw I replaced.

Could you step down to the 110V 1.75HP motor and controller?

I retrofitted my 1.75HP PCS to the 3HP 240v.

So I have a spare motor (110v) and controller doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That would have to go in the circuit after the electronics, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I doubt if SawStop would sign off on it though.

as I wrote above, the Sawstop controls require the blade to come up to speed within about 1.5 seconds. If the slow start fails to achieve this, the saw will shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I know little to nothing about this stuff but will add that, over the years, have talked to a few folks who tried to run bandsaws or smaller machines (say, less than 5hp) in these off-the-grid type situations with generators, etc. Every one of them reported back that the machine was ultimately unusable. As others mentioned, the startup amp draw seems to be too high for these types of setups. To the OP, if you do manage to figure out a capacitor-based solution, please share with us.

Erik
    I've been running my shop on off-grid solar for 15 years now. Prior to the Sawstop the largest motor was 2HP on my Rikon bandsaw. Curiously enough, it's starting surge is HIGHER than the 3HP sawstop. However, it is a "dumb" motor, so it doesn't care about the voltage sag. I've never had problems with any other tools. Of course, not all solar installations are equal. The inverters have to be large enough to provide the require current, as do the batteries. Also, some early inverters (and current cheapo ones) produce really crappy waveforms; in some cases it's just a square wave. It's not surprising that tools won't like that.

Same situation holds for generators. If you have a portable 3kW generator you probably shouldn't expect it to provide the starting current for a large power tool. On the other hand, if you have a large, stationary generator capable of powering a house through a blackout, it will handle the tools with ease. Mine is rated 15kW continuous load, capable of running for days at a time. It runs the SawStop without breaking a sweat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Strip View Post
    as I wrote above, the Sawstop controls require the blade to come up to speed within about 1.5 seconds. If the slow start fails to achieve this, the saw will shut down.
    Sorry, I completely missed that. But 1.5 sec is quite a long time. I just timed mine & it takes roughly 1/3 sec to come up to speed. Of course, that would be longer with a full dado stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Sorry, I completely missed that. But 1.5 sec is quite a long time. I just timed mine & it takes roughly 1/3 sec to come up to speed. Of course, that would be longer with a full dado stack.
    Is that with a soft-start?