Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What wall material for new shop, what about slatwall?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I plan to go with T111 siding for my interior walls.
    I drywalled my shop, fire-taped the bottom 4 feet, textured the ceiling and upper 5 feet (texture was because I didn't want to do a multi-stage tape and sanding process). I bought "shop grade" T-1 11 and cut the panels in half to make a 4' high wainscot. I used 1X4 MDF trim for the top rail and battens. Everything is screwed on so it can be replaced if needed. I think the panels will take the brunt of most scuffs and dents that drywall couldn't handle. Time will tell.
    Regards,

Kris

I went with a mix. I have a section with a built in bench from a previous own. Plywood over the top of that, that's where most of the tools went. I installed 5/8 fire rated drywall on the other walls where hanging things wasn't as important, because of the huge cost savings. One nice benefit to drywall is painting it white, which helps with lighting. You can also do this with plywood, but it doesn't look as good as natural, IMHO.

What about plywood on bottom 4' and leaving the rest exposed and either wait for prices to drop or fill it in with leftovers over time. This would let you wire all your courtesy outlets and machine outlets now and then its throw the rest in as it comes.

Also this will free up money for Spray foam

Thanks everyone you have give me a lot to think about. I will need to do some research on french cleats, I have seen people talk about them before but never had an opportunity to use them.

With french cleats what do you use to hang small things like the little hooks on slat wall? do you just build your own fixtures?

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    Thanks everyone you have give me a lot to think about. I will need to do some research on french cleats, I have seen people talk about them before but never had an opportunity to use them.

With french cleats what do you use to hang small things like the little hooks on slat wall? do you just build your own fixtures?
    French cleats can be added to any wall material as long as you hit studs. Just take 3/4 ply strip 3-4" wide with a 45 cut on one end and space them up the wall. then as you feel like it make contraptions to hold your tools. I have 30-40 items hangers made up everything from paper towel holders to clamp racks. I also have a seperate setup for yard tools. you could simply take a 2"x4" brad nail a small piece of 3/4 with a 45 cut on it to it and add a hook to it. then you can move it all over the place. this isnt mine but a good example
    french_cleat_tool_wall_t.jpg

Blog Entries
    On metal, spray foam is best way..... But as far as walls, it all depends on the construction of the metal building. I had a 30x30 that was red metal beam. While quick and great strength with the beams, the beam's internal angle made it impossible to really do inner wall well. This angle, along with the raised base panel made me go with separate internal wall where I wanted to enclose the area. I'd never build another that I expected to need to use the internal walls for storage. If straight vertical walls with straight horizontal beams, then I'd do the minimum right now. Things are coming down, but not fast. Sheetrock is actually not a bad idea, but if you are attaching a lot of heavy stuff, maybe a slat wall would be best.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

OSB heathing for me. I rolled on some Kilz on the ground flat, then 2 coats of the cheapest white paint I could find. Screwed the panels up so I could pull them off to do future wiring. I can screw cleats etc anywhere I want! I did the ceiling the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post

French cleats are really simple and really versatile. They're just two strips of wood with complementary 45* bevels. I used good quality 3/4" plywood. I have a couple office cabinets hung with french cleats. The cleats are fastened to the wall using 5/16"" lag bolts into studs. The portion on the cabinet is mounted flush so the cabinet hangs tight against the wall. If used in a shop you could mount slat wall, peg board or about anything else you can imagine. Very versatile.

Aside from the convenience that French cleats bring for easy repositioning, they also provide really strong support for whatever is hanging on them. It's not just the fasteners into the wall...the strength of the material that the French cleats are made from is added to the mix as well as how weight is distributed laterally, rather than on a few points through the wall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I considered similar options and settled on rockwool insulation and drywall. They seem to be most noise blocking based on my rudimentary tests. Price is an added advantage.

For on wall storage I prefer wall control pegboards. I like them placed where ever there is need. I find them more pleasing.

I used slatwall (3/4" MDF) on all shop walls--20+ yrs ago- got 25 sheets thru a friend in the biz~ the same cost as drywall and much easier to install. I built the shop with
    old barn beams from the family farm and wanted to mimic the old corn cribs of my youth so cost and "style" made using it a reasonable
    choice. I got used hangers/hardware at a display distributer @ very reasonable $$$. Over time I got a bit greedy and loaded the hangers-old Jorgy bar clamps mostly-
    and the slats started separating. I made a hanging rack with metal for the heavy stuff and I still like the look but @ todays costs I think dry wall and French cleats
    would be the way to go. Good way to use all those plywood offcuts, reconfiguring your shop is easy, and the cleats can hold more weight. Congrats on the new shop!
    --

I used 3/4” Melanie on bottom 4’ of 2 of my walls and did slat-wall on one and 3/4” plywood with French cleats on the other. After a couple of years usage, I wish I had gone French cleats on both walls as it is easer to build and attach holders on the french cleat wall.