Thread: I found this piece of wood, is it

I found this piece of wood, is it

I have bunch of lumber I’ve never seen. So I’ve been going through it and found this piece. I was thinking it could be wormy hickory! What you think?
    7BC50FA1-CE2F-4AEE-BBC8-2539B078AF91.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Terry Starch; 08-17-2021 at 8:19 PM. Reason: Pics don’t show
    Two T's Woodshop

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Starch View Post
    I have bunch of lumber I’ve never seen. So I’ve been going through it and found this piece. I was thinking it could be wormy hickory! What you think?
    7BC50FA1-CE2F-4AEE-BBC8-2539B078AF91.jpg
    I think even wood of one species can vary widely. You can look through these pictures and decide. http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/hickory.htm
    Id by a photo can sometimes give a number of guesses. Only one is right, if you are lucky.

For a better ID shave the end grain of a small piece with a single-edge razor blade to better reveal the structure with a low-power magnifier.
    The details are often obscured on endgrain that is cut and sanded.
    Compare to some of the various hickories here: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...pecan-hickory/
    Can also measure the density of a sample.

Section 7 of this article describes how to examine end grain: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...ication-guide/
    In "Still Stumped" are instructions on how to get a professional ID for free.

The face grain resembles butternut. Is it a domestic? I am not used to the end grain on butternut looking like that though.

The end grain looks like Ash to me.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The face grain resembles butternut. Is it a domestic? I am not used to the end grain on butternut looking like that though.
    Butternut was my first thought also. Butternut is it light weight, hickory can be quite dense and heavy.

I agree with Brian that the end grain looks like ash. But the face grain...with the borers, etc., I'm not so sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm with everyone else here: Endgrain looks 100% Ash but the face is weird. OP, how heavy is that board? If Ash, should feel like a brick.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep