Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the Lee Valley Shooting Board Fence?

Anyone tried the Lee Valley Shooting Board Fence?

Greetings to my fellow Neanderthals -

I find I use my shooting board quite a bit but shooting angles is a pain. I've made some angled fence inserts but getting things dialed in is a tough trick. Is anyone using the Lee Valley fence or track? I've had their shooting plane for a couple years now and it's super nice with my shop made board and fence.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Wood by Wright on Youtube has it and seems to be a fan.

I should have picked it up but I built a shooting board when I bought their shooting plane. I spent alot of time on it and got discouraged when I started making the donkey ear for it. Havent used it too much since. this was about 6 months ago.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a donkey ear?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    It's a type of shooting board. Let's you push the same plane from both directions with the piece's reference side always against the fence. With the LV design you have to buy _two_ planes ;-).

I've found the Veritas Shooting Board quite useful. At the time of purchase, I had made the decision to buy rather than build a SB and the Veritas model was just the ticket. I have plans to make another SB at some point, but there is only so much time in the day, and loads of project waiting to be tackled.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have it and like it a lot. Have not done a bunch of angles; basically 45 and 90, and I did make a donkey ear for it that works well even though clamping it down is fiddly.

If it looks strange it is because it is left handed.

780538A7-DCB2-4437-ACDF-40808726F5AA.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have the nonadjustable version – i.e. just for 90° angles. I use it all the time, however I do struggle with keeping the guide rail tight so it does not develop excessive side-to-side play in use. I think this is probably user error by me. Best fix I've found is a quick spray of WD-40 in the metal track before use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    Its big advantage for me was box making. It allowed me to perfect the miters or shrink the box side by a slight amount. as I wouldnt be able to ro it standing up on the regular board

This is similar to the one I made and tossed
    https://ticovogt.com/toolworks/index...5muo8u9v4js870

I need to remake it

I build a shooting board just for the Veritas shooting board plane, and I still use it for my 90* work. However, I did buy the the LV board and fence when it came out, and it is excellent. I just used it this past weekend to make a picture frame for my son.
    686155A9-B9D4-4CD4-BC48-5D7965BDF6B3.jpg

Thanks, Rafael. I hadn't encountered the term.

Hi,

We have a Donkeys Ear ready to go…just waiting on capacity, and hopefully lower Baltic birch prices….

Cheers,

Rob

Blog Entries
    I once made a shooting board with a 48"x7'x 3/8 plywood with a 1/2 " strip straight edge down the center of it. I used it on my 10" table saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Zucker View Post
    I have it and like it a lot. Have not done a bunch of angles; basically 45 and 90, and I did make a donkey ear for it that works well even though clamping it down is fiddly.

If it looks strange it is because it is left handed.

780538A7-DCB2-4437-ACDF-40808726F5AA.jpg

and upside down!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi,

We have a Donkeys Ear ready to go…just waiting on capacity, and hopefully lower Baltic birch prices….

Cheers,

Rob
    Rob,

Any updates on this? It's been a while.