Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Thompson spindle gouge question

  1. #1

    Thompson spindle gouge question

    Looking to upgrade my lathe tools, spindle gouges at the moment. Use would be general spindle turning of medium to
    larger items. Peppermills, goblets, tool handles and the like.
    I have D-way in the 3/8 size (like it a lot) and thought it time to get a Thompson gouge in 1/2 inch. I see he has three types on his site, Spindle, Detail spindle, and shallow flute detail. I've read the description of each, so understand the flute development. My question is for general use where to start? No objection to more than one, just trying to find the start point.
    All input welcome...

  2. #2
    Update, I just talked to Doug. He got me on the right path straight away, what a great guy...
    No need for more

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dempsey View Post
    Update, I just talked to Doug. He got me on the right path straight away, what a great guy...
    No need for more
    He is easy to reach and a great help!

    Mark StLeger said the 1/2" detail gouge is his go-to.

    If you do a lot of spindle turning and the budget agrees, I can highly recommend multiple identical gouges. I like to turn small things and use the Thompson 3/8" spindle gouge a lot. I keep six identical and when one gets dull I set it aside an put a "fresh" one in the handle so I don't have to stop and sharpen. When they are all dull, I stop and sharpen. I use a 1200 grit CBN wheel on the Tormek and this way I set it up once and sharpening each gouge only takes seconds.

    I've posted pictures before, I make inserts from aluminum, brass, or steel to hold gouges. I use a metal lathe for most but have made aluminum inserts using just the wood lathe (and the drill press for the set set screws.)

    inserts_IMG_7933.jpg handle_adapters.jpg

    handle_adpater_wood_lathe.jpg

    JKJ

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Northern MN
    Posts
    334
    I have the 1/2" spindle and 3/8" detail. I used the 1/2" for broader curves and the detail gouge for narrow spots and cuts >45 degrees to the rotational axis. I'm usually not taking off so much wood with the detail so small works OK regardless of the size of the work. For broader curves I prefer a blunter grind, which is usually what's done on a spindle profile, as opposed to the "pointier" detail. Not saying I'm "right", that's just what I do. I've never tried a detail gouge in a larger size.

    Best,

    Dave

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mount View Post
    I have the 1/2" spindle and 3/8" detail. I used the 1/2" for broader curves and the detail gouge for narrow spots and cuts >45 degrees to the rotational axis. I'm usually not taking off so much wood with the detail so small works OK regardless of the size of the work. For broader curves I prefer a blunter grind, which is usually what's done on a spindle profile, as opposed to the "pointier" detail. Not saying I'm "right", that's just what I do. I've never tried a detail gouge in a larger size.

    Best,

    Dave
    I found the shallow detail gouge, ground with the same Tormek jig settings I use for the spindle gouges, ends up with a long, quite pointed cutting tip, perfect for getting into tight places with a LOT of support from almost cylindrical shaft. I only use it rarely. I even ground one into a small NRS once. A friend saw it when we were at JCC and at the time they had been on backorder. He said, what!? I've been waiting for one of those for months and here you are grinding them into scrapers!

    I forgot, have you tried the Hunter tools? For me the radius of the small cutter on the small Hercules tool is just about perfect for the broader curves you mentioned, both on spindles and bowls/curved platters.

    JKJ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sykesville, maryland
    Posts
    790
    I have Thompson 3/8/ and 1/2" regular and details gouges. The 1/2" regular is my favorite. I do use the others for more detailed work, but prefer the weight of the bigger gouge for most of the shaping.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dempsey View Post
    Update, I just talked to Doug. He got me on the right path straight away, what a great guy...
    No need for more
    What did Doug recommend?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    11,657
    Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I have Thompson 3/8/ and 1/2" regular and details gouges. The 1/2" regular is my favorite. I do use the others for more detailed work, but prefer the weight of the bigger gouge for most of the shaping.
    You probably wouln't have much use for the 1/4" spindle gouges, then! I like them when turning miniatures.

    tiny_thngs_IMG_7970.jpg tiny_things.jpg

    The finger tops are way out of proportion with the goblet (as is the wand) - I was hoping I could spin the tops but no such luck - probably not enough mass! I think I could do a better job with detail now...

    JKJ

  9. #9
    He recommended the regular 1/2 in spindle gouge. Next step would be 3/8 detail.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •