Thread: Purchase WAY above my skill level

Purchase WAY above my skill level

A non-profit I'm involved with has accessed my "expertise" in woodworking to set up their shop, and they've been on a buying spree getting increasingly better machinery to serve their needs.
    My Rigid hybrid table saw was their latest acquisition, so they could have a dedicated dado (actually rebate) unit because every build they do has a rebate for a base.
    I still need a table saw, so I started looking at options - using my band saw exclusively is not my best plan.
    My wife finally completed the decision-making process that the SawStop was my best option.
    I had my 3 HP (I have 240 in the shop since the Rigid was wired up for 240) saw delivered on Friday and I completed the build on Sunday (yesterday).
    I think i'll probably going to be the sole owner who will NOT post a unpack/setup/review of the saw on YouTube. But I will be using it for the first time today.
    As a woodworker, I feel I'm on the "rub-2-sticks-together" level, so this monster is WAY above my level. Mind you I married above my level too, so it's not an unusual case in my life.
    With what I have been asked to do for the house, I'm sure the wife's approval will be rewarded.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    A non-profit I'm involved with has accessed my "expertise" in woodworking to set up their shop, and they've been on a buying spree getting increasingly better machinery to serve their needs.
    My Rigid hybrid table saw was their latest acquisition, so they could have a dedicated dado (actually rebate) unit because every build they do has a rebate for a base.
    I still need a table saw, so I started looking at options - using my band saw exclusively is not my best plan.
    My wife finally completed the decision-making process that the SawStop was my best option.
    I had my 3 HP (I have 240 in the shop since the Rigid was wired up for 240) saw delivered on Friday and I completed the build on Sunday (yesterday).
    I think i'll probably going to be the sole owner who will NOT post a unpack/setup/review of the saw on YouTube. But I will be using it for the first time today.
    As a woodworker, I feel I'm on the "rub-2-sticks-together" level, so this monster is WAY above my level. Mind you I married above my level too, so it's not an unusual case in my life.
    With what I have been asked to do for the house, I'm sure the wife's approval will be rewarded.
    If it is questions about the saw, read the book or consult sawstop owners here.

If it is about a project feel free to ask.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Congrats. On both the saw and the wife.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Lee, it's neither.
    I'm a poster who prefers to put a little humour into my uploads whenever possible.
    I will be growing into the saw, the wife will see to that with "honeydo" projects.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Could be lots worse situations to be in

... With what I have been asked to do for the house, I'm sure the wife's approval will be rewarded.
    That's how I got a lot of tools.. "It's for the house" And it's no lie, really.
    She does like me getting organized, fixing things and creating instead of sitting on the computer all the time. So do I.

When I got my PM66 and turned it on for the first time I almost jumped back at how fast the Baldor got that blade moving. Before it I had been using various jobsite saws. Even going from a contractors saw to a real cabinet saw can be a little intimidating. But you'll quickly adjust and not look back.

As for the wife I just make her stuff. She must have a collection of 20 or so bowls I've turned and several jewelry size boxes. I got my hollow chisel mortiser because I told her we needed a new bed frame. I haven't found the excuse yet to justify the CNC router but I have made her a few signs.

Blog Entries
    Lee, it's neither.
    I'm a poster who prefers to put a little humour into my uploads whenever possible.
    I will be growing into the saw, the wife will see to that with "honeydo" projects.
    If you aren't able grow into it, you can store it at my house....

My TS came into my shop because LOML wanted two enclosed end tables and the purchase price for one was as much as a table saw would cost. I offered to build them if I could purchase the saw. Here's an old photo of one of the cabinets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-17-2021 at 8:09 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have to chuckle at the "grow into it thing" and the "monster" reference. I just picked up a PCS to use in my temporary shop. It feels tiny to me. LOL But it does work very nicely and is an excellent tool! Congrats on your new table saw. Good choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Buying above your skill level often turns out to be cheaper than upgrading as your skill level grows. Congrats on the bride too who supports your endeavor. I was familiar with a situation where the wife was not supportive of her husband's hobby. He was having to sneak stuff into the house. Sucked for him.