Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kink in saw?

Kink in saw?

Hi all, I just got a saw from one of the higher end makers and it arrived with a slight kink in the teeth around 3 inches form the end. I haven't used the saw yet and the kink is really noticeable when the blade catches the light. What do you think I should do? Shipping is really expensive from Israel to the states, even if I end up not having to pay for it, I would rather not send a saw back over a kink that might reoccurr as a result of normal use. Will it affect the cut?

I can't seem to be able to post a picture from my phone, I'll upload one when I get home

Hi Assaf

Three inches from the heel of the plate suggests that the kerf in the handle is not square. This can induce a curve/kink when the saw nuts are tightened.

This should have been noted before sending it to you. I would contact the Seller and describe what you have. Send a photo. The saw needs to be returned. Do not use it. They need to reimburse you for postage as this is not your fault, and therefore you should not be responsible for the extra costs. Most responsible sellers will do this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,
    Thanks for the response. I don't think I was clear enough, the kink is in the tooth line 3" from the end of the saw furthest from the handle.
    WhatsApp Image 2021-08-15 at 22.05.47.jpeg

it looks to me like the saw set was placed a bit to deep so it ended up denting the plate as well as the tooth. my question is is this a flaw, or a feature of hand set saws. and more importantly - will it affect the saws accuracy? its a tenon saw, and I more than any others I would like my joinery saws to be accurate (he said with the decisiveness born of a complete lack of experience).
    Last edited by Assaf Oppenheimer; 08-16-2021 at 1:53 PM.

So far I would not let the saw touch wood and send your pic to the vendor. They may or may not ask you to make some test cuts with it, but I wouldn't make any test cuts until hearing back from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    Hi all, I just got a saw from one of the higher end makers and it arrived with a slight kink in the teeth around 3 inches form the end. I haven't used the saw yet and the kink is really noticeable when the blade catches the light. What do you think I should do? Shipping is really expensive from Israel to the states, even if I end up not having to pay for it, I would rather not send a saw back over a kink that might reoccurr as a result of normal use. Will it affect the cut?
    Which maker was this? If they’re not even looking at their product before they ship it, we deserve to know this.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 08-16-2021 at 7:26 PM.

Whose saw is this?

Not to mention the teeth don't even look like they are filed to a point. yikes!

I thought the same thing as Pete, but figured it might be the way it’s photographed. But Pete knows better than I. Yes, we need to know the maker. We tend to praise well-made tools on this forum, so no reason not to call out those with obvious flaws. They should stand behind their work.
    Last edited by Stephen Rosenthal; 08-16-2021 at 8:09 PM.

Oh, the teeth do have points....nice and IMPULSE HARDEN black ones.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I dunno fellas. I do see a couple marks in the "plate" where the setter was maybe used a bit agressively. The black -might- be sap or etc from a test cut at the factory after sharpening, and the photo looks like a cell phone photo that was cropped a lot. It looks to me like that saw was filed crosscut. Before going too far off the reservation I would want to hold that saw in my hand under good light and peer over the top of my bifocals to look at those teeth and probably reach for my loupe before I opened my mouth.

Assaf is not buying crap tools and then paying international shipping. I bet that saw is not a Lee Valley/ Veritas, but it probably was more expensive than LV/V too.

At Assaf, if the vendor tells you to make some test cuts, I would go for it and make some test cuts, in both soft and hard wood. What you want to find out is are those two or three teeth set wider enough from the others that your cutline is not smooth. You want to use the full length of the plate with your sawing and then look at the cut surfaces for smooth-smooth-smooth- a tooth set wider than the others - smooth - smooth - smooth. I can probably come up with a photo of a surface left by poorly set teeth, in fact I am sure I can if you need one to compare.

I personally would not call the vendor out until -after- the vendor had a reasonable chance to make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I personally would not call the vendor out until -after- the vendor had a reasonable chance to make it right.
    I'd like some confirmation that it's who I think it is, so that I don't feel so all alone in being gaslit.

Good on you Assaf for giving the maker first chance to make it right before naming him.

​As a reminder to everyone, the SMC policy as listed in the Terms of Service requires this approach. ​It is also just the right thing to do, we all have bad days and make mistakes.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Good on you Assaf for giving the maker first chance to make it right before naming him.

​As a reminder to everyone, the SMC policy as listed in the Terms of Service requires this approach. ​It is also just the right thing to do, we all have bad days and make mistakes.
    That’s fine. Let me give you an example of how things can work a bit differently. I bought an expensive saw from a “maker” based on reputation, and after 12 weeks to deliver a bone stock saw, what they shipped me was obviously bent. I wrote them an email describing the situation, with an RMA request, and shortly thereafter received a phone call, presumably from the owner, in which he absolutely could not understand what the problem was, that I should pay hundreds of dollars for a bent saw, and that I should just live with it. He said he’d repair it, but said it as if he was doing me a _favor_. He also didn’t know what the terms for the various parts of a saw were, to the extent that I became convinced that he wasn’t _capable_ of repairing it. So I just kept it and made my own replacement handle (which was the source of the problem, as I futilely tried to explain to him.) And now everything is fine. But I can’t look at that saw without a tinge of disgust, even though the saw works well now.

In your particular case Doug you would have been justified in naming the maker and paraphrasing the conversation. You gave him the chance and he only half met his responsibility. Unfortunately there are always some gray areas in deciding whether or not to name someone.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH