Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kink in saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    In your particular case Doug you would have been justified in naming the maker and paraphrasing the conversation. You gave him the chance and he only half met his responsibility. Unfortunately there are always some gray areas in deciding whether or not to name someone.
    What really bothers me is that people might think it was someone else, Good People like Pete Taran or Tom Lie-Nielsen. They don’t deserve even the possibility of a doubt, at least from me.

Assaf: Tough call. If it were mine, I'd try it out and see how it cuts. If it is purely cosmetic, perhaps the manufacturer would offer a credit towards the original purchase price to compensate? If it does not perform correctly, then it has to go back for repair/replacement. I have a saw from a boutique US manufacturer that came with a similar defect, but it cuts just fine. I could have returned it for repair, but it was not worth the aggravation. To summarize: try it out and then decide. Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    Hi all, I just got a saw from one of the higher end makers and it arrived with a slight kink in the teeth around 3 inches form the end. I haven't used the saw yet and the kink is really noticeable when the blade catches the light. What do you think I should do? Shipping is really expensive from Israel to the states, even if I end up not having to pay for it, I would rather not send a saw back over a kink that might reoccurr as a result of normal use. Will it affect the cut?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Not to mention the teeth don't even look like they are filed to a point. yikes!
    This was also my first thought until it hit me the teeth are pointing up in the image.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Must be one of those rare upcut saws.
    Aj

I agree with Phil. There will inevitably be that first scratch or ding. If it effects performance, that is another matter, and that can only be determined by using the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I agree with Phil. There will inevitably be that first scratch or ding. If it effects performance, that is another matter, and that can only be determined by using the saw.
    A bent or kinked saw is not the same as a scratch or a ding. Then again, it depends on what you want to do with it. If all you’re gonna do is paint the side of it and hang it on the wall, then it probably wouldn’t matter. :^)

I’m with Doug on this. If I’m paying top dollar for a premium saw, I expect it to arrive in perfect condition. That means no dings or even minor scratches. I have three such saws and all were perfect upon receipt. I also have 100+ year old saws that I appreciate even more for the lives they’ve lived. Bad Axe occasionally offers saws that have minor imperfections at a discount, but I am not aware of any other saw makers that do.

When I was a kid I worked for an old guy who said that a kinked saw could ,sometimes, be fixed by slamming it down on .the surface of
    a pond (or pool) . I don’t think so. But I post it as interesting lore. No trade can continue without “lore”.

Given that even bargain mass manufactured saws come dead straight, all of the pussy-footing around makes no sense to me. It should be straight. That said, sometimes a really bad setting job can make a saw look kinked if you're gazing at it down the tooth line. Either way, it's a defect. You could tap out all the set and reset the saw to see if that fixes it, but this shouldn't be necessary on a saw from a boutique maker.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 08-22-2021 at 5:23 AM.

Hi all,

I figured you guys deserve closer to this post.

It took a while because I had to move for a renovation, get ready for finals (I graduated) and get married .
    I tried posting from my phone a few times but I ended up making a mess of the post.

anyway...

when I finally had time to test out the saw it works very well, it cuts straight and true. the kink's effect is purely cosmetic.
    when I reached out to the seller he responded by offering to make it right. In the end I decided to keep the saw as is and received a partial discount.
    I found the sellers response and offer satisfactory.

a lot of the comments about the state of the saw blade were likely due to poor photography on my part - cellphone and lamp
    Given some of the responses I saw on the post, I don't feel comfortable sharing the makers name - if he hadn't offered to make it right, I would have but I won't tarnish a small tool maker for a solitary mistake.

thank you everyone
    A

Thanks for giving us the follow up. Glad that things were resolved to your satisfaction.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH