Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any idea what function this has? (Motorhomes)

Any idea what function this has? (Motorhomes)

We bought a used Fleetwood Discovery motorhome from the 2nd owners. The first owner did do some modifications and added some cabinets. There is one piece of hardware in it that has us all baffled. It looks like a miniature brass towel holder. It's mounted vertically on the wall and is maybe 6" in length and has maybe 1/4" (or less) gap between the bar and the wall. It's mounted right next to the bathroom door trim. The bathroom door and the shower door do not swing towards that bar, so it's not a doorstop.
    Brass.jpg
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Is it just a handle to help get off the commode?
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Vertically mounted towel bar. Don’t see them much now.

tp holder during the early covid tp shortage

or

some kind of tie down point?
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

My guess would be it’s used to hang towels or clothes while in the shower or in the bathroom.

The bar is on the outside of the bathroom door. It's maybe 6" long and maybe 1/4" thick. Open the bathroom door and inside is the toilet and the washer/dryer and a TP holder on the wall. While taking the photo, the bathroom sink is to my left and there are two large ring towel holders on the wall about one foot away from this little vertical bar. The bar is so close to the door trim, and so close to the wall, it would be like threading a needle to place a paper towel in it.

I too thought maybe some sort of tie-down to hook a cord to and dry clothes. The first owner built cabinets "behind" me in the photo, so it's possible there was/is a second vertical bar where the cabinets are.

Maybe it's there to string fishing wire and tin cans for trip wires for the zombie apocalypse?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

So if you attached an elastic band /hair tie?, could the other end be put over the door knob to keep the door snugly closed and not rattling while driving
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

I was getting ready to post the same thing that Mike just did.

I was thinking it could be a grab bar for when vehicle is moving, but probably too small for that. My motorhome has a horizontal grab bar I installed on a hallway wall for walking around while the vehicle is in motion.

Could it be for hangers?

Hmmm. Elastic band might be an option. The door knob is a push button, I think. Unfortunately I will have to wait to go look. I had major ankle surgery the other day and have promised to try my best to follow surgeon orders and not overdo it.

Definitely not a grab bar. It's about the thickness of a pencil.

Wire hanger is a possibility, but it would only be able to hold 1 hanger. I think there are at least 3 closets that have wooden dowels in them to hang clothes on.

I have been scanning photos on the internet and have yet to see an interior shot with that little bar.

Combo ,towel bar and old telephone book holder. Years ago people would sometimes steal phone books. Why did they do that ?
    Because if you had a phone book in your living room people would assume you had a telephone !

Could it be part of a door latch mechanism? Our 23' 5th wheel had a closet across the hall from the bathroom door. The closet door opened and latched into the wall so someone could be dressing with the closet door providing privacy from the dining, cooking and living room.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Maybe ask a Fleetwood dealer or on an RV forum. Perhaps it’s a common item.

There is an owners group if you haven't already found it. That would be a great place to inquire. Here's the link if you haven't found it already.
    https://www.discoveryowners.com/home.html